Original topic:

FM on Galaxy Devices

(Topic created on: 09-27-2021 05:24 PM)
FSCYoutube
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy A

I have owned a Galaxy A50 for a while now and used NextRadio to listen to the local radio station when on the go as I don't have cellular data on my plan. After the OneUI3 update, NextRadio was blocked access to the FM receiver chip in my phone. I did some searching and found the Offical Samsung Radio app, only to find that it wasn't available in Canada. I found an apk and tried to sideload it, only to find it wouldn't install. 

Has anyone found a way to unlock the FM receiver chip?

Why is it that Samsung prevents its users from utilizing a tool built into their phone?

I am hoping to use my device for many years to come and hope someone can sort this out.

11 Comments
CanadianGuardian
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
I suggest you try downloading radio player I get over 500 FM radio stations all across Canada on this
0 Likes
FSCYoutube
Active Level 1
Galaxy A

I used to be with a radio station that promoted the RadioPlayer Canada App and it's good until you lose internet. As someone that doesn't have a data plan, this isn't a travel friendly option

0 Likes
Galaxy A
On my S21 Ultra I used have TuneIn Radio. There were so many intrusive ads, the program did not always load properly so I uninstalled it. I searched the Google Play Store and found another online Radio app called "Simple Radio". I can stream radio stations from Western Canada to Eastern Canada including stations from the USA and all over the world. There are no interruptions of the stations with intrusive ads. I would recommend giving this app a try.
0 Likes
FSCYoutube
Active Level 1
Galaxy A

As someone that doesn't use cellular data, this option doesn't work for me.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
Samsung has disabled the built in FM RADIO operation and did not provide their own radio app. That is why you had to use Nextradio. But it is available in Australia and India.
https://samsung-radio.en.uptodown.com/android
0 Likes
FSCYoutube
Active Level 1
Galaxy A

For the first while, I did use NextRadio for FM listening but one of their more recent updates made it stop working. I have also tried the first-party radio app but it's geo-locked and I can't use it in Canada.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
Samsung has the ability to provide a radio app, they do this for other countries.
0 Likes
FSCYoutube
Active Level 1
Galaxy A

I know they provide a first-party radio app for Galaxy A50 devices in some countries but they have told me through a phone call that they aren't going to provide one for Canada. The only thing they are willing to tell me about my phone is that it doesn't have a built-in FM receiver chip.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
That is a lie. Since fm radio worked before there upgrade.
0 Likes