Original topic:

How to make Google Contacts App default from Phone App?

(Topic created on: 03-24-2022 01:03 PM)
WTF108
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy A

Hello,

When in the phone app and using the + button to add a new contact, I used to be able to pick either Samsung Contacts (red) or Google Contacts (blue).
In an unfortunate moment of distraction, I hit Samsung Contacts once and am unable to take that decision back.

What I've tried so far:
1. I've tried the one fix that seems to be plastered all over the internet (https://www.guidingtech.com/use-google-contacts-instead-of-samsung-contacts/#:~:text=If%20the%20Sams....) In step 2 I cannot clear the default.

2. Uninstalled and re-installed Google Contacts.

3. Reset app preferences in  Settings>Apps.

All negative. I am still opening Samsung Contacts out of the phone app.

To be clear, this is NOT about saving contacts to Google Contacts (online).  This is only about OPENING Google Contacts APP (on the phone).

I JUST DON"T LIKE BEING FORCED TO USE THE SAMSUNG APP.
I WISHED I COULD UNINSTALL IT.

3 Comments
Galaxy A
Sorry, mis-read your question. Try this, open Settings → Apps → Contacts → Set as default

Clear default.

This should resolve your problem.
0 Likes
Helenna
Options
Galaxy A

Hi, We suggest you to follow the below steps:

Open settings >> Apps >> open Google Contacts app >> Set as default.

0 Likes
KelBel23
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

I have a Samsung S22 through Verizon. I am using the Phone app that came preinstalled on the phone. When I'm in the phone app and select Contacts on the lower right, I see different contacts than what I see in Google Contacts. It also shows my Samsung profile. I have tried numerous times to do what is described above. Once I get into Samsung Contacts OR the Google Contacts app, I don't have the option to set as default. See the photo below. Both apps set a default screen look the same -- no option to set as default! I cannot delete the Samsung Contact App. 

Am I to understand that I may be storing my contacts in Google Contacts, but within the phone app it's going to look like the Samsung Contacts app?

Screenshot_20230919_141122_Settings.jpg

0 Likes