Original topic:

What is a preload

(Topic created on: 09-27-2021 01:00 PM)
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy A
I received the following response to my previous post "my files, preinstalled problem" the app has telephone permissions. 

The moderator responded as follows. 
In case of preloaded applications, they automatically get the telephone permission on request of READ_PRIVILEGED_PHONE_STATE and READ_PHONE_STATE. 
9 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

That's not a legitimate reason for My Files to require these permissions. 

It's just saying that Samsung has DECIDED to give My Files those permissions.

Georgine
Options
Galaxy A

Hi, Preload means the pre-installed apps on the device.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
So my original question was not answered as to how the telephone permissions is used? Give an example as to why the camera needs to the telephone privilege. Not only for the my files but the camera app.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Camera permissions for phone actually makes sense. Without it, you wouldn't be able to make video calls etc.

The "explanation" for the My Files permissions is nonsense. See my previous reply. 

SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
You cannot make video calls with the camera, version 11.0.11.89 created by Samsung
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Although this post is a couple of years old, it's still fairly relevant if somewhat basic, regarding app permissions.

https://www.neorhino.com/2019/10/09/what-your-mobile-apps-really-need-app-permissions-ncsam/

SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
The url you provided defines the phone permission as follows.
This permission allows the app access to your phone number and network information.

I do not understand why Samsung is not able to define what their apps permission function is, in this case telephone permission as it cannot be removed and allows the apps to communicate somehow with the telephone.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

It's not that Samsung is unable to define what "preloaded" app permissions are for. Samsung doesn't WANT to explain / justify their decisions for the unnecessary permissions granted to some apps. 

In most cases the permissions granted make sense, but the permissions granted to My Files (which I think started this query) make no sense & questioning Samsung's decisions for My Files permissions, is just being ignored, because Samsung just wants you to go away.

AGAIN, There is NO LEGITIMATE reason to grant the permissions given to the My Files app. 

SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
The telephone permission applies to my files, camera, Samsung pass, and secure folder
0 Likes