Original topic:

Anyone use the native Samsung Gallery to OneDrive Sync?

(Topic created on: 12-03-2020 11:23 AM)
ziom
Active Level 5
Options
Galaxy Note
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone is using the native Samsung Gallery to OneDrive Sync?

The biggest limitation for me is that it if you do enable it, you have to set storage to internal memory and cannot select folders on the external SD card.

Further, and what is even more agregious is that you can only sync files 1Gb or less. This is really frustrating as I now shoot in 4K only.

The really nice thing about the gallery sync is the following:

Native sync integration right from the gallery
Each photo has an icon to show if its backed up, a device only photo or backed up and on cloud only.

You can backup other folders in the internal SD with the same benefits and it keeps the folder structure the same on your phone as it does in your onedrive.

But the 1GB limit, is bad enough that I may just turn off gallery sync to onedrive and just use onedrive photo backup.

Let me know your experience with Gallery sync to omedrive.

I really hope Samsung lifts the 1gb limit.
9 Comments
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi ziom, Thanks for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback. I suggest you please check if you can upgrade the limit on your Microsoft Onedrive account.

ez1to3
Active Level 4
Galaxy Note
Disable it and use the OneDrive app. Much better experience. You can backup from the SD card. It tells you what's backed up. I have a O365 sub so I might be biased.
akn786
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Do you know how you can disable it? I also have O365 and have found it quite annoying that Samsung has taken away functionality that I am paying for to Microsoft. I have had trouble reverting.
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi akn786,

Could you please let us know the model number of your Samsung device.

Samsung Cloud is being decommissioned as we migrate to Microsoft OneDrive. Depending on your device model, you could be able to sync directly to OneDirve and link your Samsung Account with your OneDrive account to better manage cloud storage.

0 Likes
akn786
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Hi Keegan. I currently have an S20 Ultra - I first ran onto this issue on my S9+ however. Thanks for your help with this
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi, Please try the below steps and check if you are able to sync to your Onedrive.

- Open the "My Files" app

- Tap on "OneDrive"

- Enter your credentials to SignIn into your Microsoft account and tap "Yes" to allow permissions.

Once you signed in successfully, your "My Files" data will be synced to your "OneDrive".

To Sync your Gallery, please open Gallery -> Tap on "Start with OneDrive" or Open (3 dot menu > Settings > Cloud sync) -> Read & agree to the permissions, then tap on "Get started with OneDrive" -> Connect Accounts -> SignIn using your Microsoft account credentials and follow the onscreen instructions to Sync your Galaxy Gallery with OneDrive.

0 Likes
akn786
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Hi Keegan, I actually had done that in the past. My issue is that the SD card photos cannot be synced through this new Samsung Cloud to One Drive connection. Prior to this update a few months ago I used to be able to have my OneDrive app directly upload all photos taken including those on the SD card. Hoping you can help me with this issue. Thanks!
0 Likes
keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi, Only the data present in the My Files app and Gallery are able to sync into your Onedrive storage. You could try moving your data from SD card to phone storage and then they could be synced to Onedrive.

0 Likes
Jewlzzz
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Note

Try the steps for "To disconnect your Samsung Gallery from OneDrive" on here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/samsung-gallery-and-onedrive-99c4e77b-8e63-4ddc-aede-19f8...

Just DO NOT put it back on once it is off, and just tell One Drive to sync instead from the One Drive app. (Like before.)

I made the mistake of stepping through the Samsung prompts because it was insistent whenever I went into the Gallery. As soon as I did the process for the Samsung controlled version, all my photos STOPPED syncing. I had switched from a Microsoft phone, so I had always used ONLY OneDrive until Samsung got pushy about me "switching" to something I was already using.

@keagan could you run us through what the benefits are of the Samsung sync instead of letting OneDrive control it (better)?

0 Likes