Original topic:

Connectivity issues moving from WiFi to Mobile Data

(Topic created on: 10-05-2020 06:56 AM)
giddyup69
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy Note

In Canada.  On Telus network.  Pre-ordered a 5G s20 Ultra note.  This is an upgrade from a Note8.  This phone feels like the biggest lemon on the planet.

Due to covid.. I have been working from home mostly.  But in the past 2 weeks I have begun driving more and have noticed a serious problem with this phone.  It seems that as soon as I leave my home wifi the phone has difficulty changing over to mobile data automatically.  SMS won't work (will receive, but cannot send) and internet data doesn't work.

The only fix is to re-boot the phone and then the phone starts working again.

But then, as soon as I get back home I have a similar problem.  It will hop back on my wifi no problems.  Internet works fine through my wifi but my SMS messaging stops again.  I have to re-boot the phone yet again.

This problem is absolutely maddening.  Samsung Canada has been completely useless.  Impossible to get anyone on the phone and they simply pass you around for hours on hold.

I have performed a factory reset now twice... through the software and also through the recovery boot option.  Same issues persist.

Trying to trouble shoot this myself... it seems it may have something to do with either VoLTE and/or perhaps the 5G/LTE settings... auto connect option.  Toggling off VoLTE seems to temporarily fixed the problem for a week.  But I noticed today as I drove back to work that the problem is back.  I believe there was a September security patch applied over this past weekend... and somehow I feel the problem creeping back is due to that patch triggering something again (but I have no clue what).  I checked and VoLTE is still off.

Has anyone else come across this issue?

I am debating taking this phone to a samsung shop, but speaking to them over the phone they say because I am over 2 weeks they cannot replace it.  Only rip it open to replace internal parts.  The phone is obviously brand new  (less than 30 days).  It seems insane to rip it apart at this point, fearing they will mess it up or the phone will never be the same again.

0 Likes
4 Comments
Galaxy Note
Hi giddyup69,

Can you check the following :

open Settings→Connections → Wifi → 3 dots on top right →Advanced

Do you have switched to mobile data turn on ?
Halston
Options
Galaxy Note

Hey giddyup69,
Please follow the suggestions provided by Tallman and get back to us with the results.
Thanks to Tallman for providing the information.

0 Likes
neals
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
theres a option in developer options to keep data on all time. i have similar issue if i go out of house it holds on to wifi for long time till it kicks over to data . the only other solution i do is turn wifi off when it refuses to switch over . yes its pain . it will switch by itself but takes awhile u can try turning on data all time dont know how battery intensive it is though
Halston
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi neals,

Thanks for providing this information here. 

0 Likes