Original topic:

Google Back Up Now greyed out - Waiting for backup - Please help!

(Topic created on: 10-27-2019 03:09 PM)
Oakmario
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy Note

Hello,
I have a problem with Google Drive Backup, where the "Back up Now" button is deactivated.
This issue happens with my brand new "Samsung Galaxy Note 10+" right out of the box.

I have Tried the following:
- Reset to factory
- Tried another account
- Cleared all Google Data
- Using WiFi + Mobile Data
- Enabled all Syncing Options (Device + Google)
- Removed All existing Google Drive Backups
- Device Up to Date (Android Pie)

I've managed to enable this option when I removed all the security settings in the device (Lock Screen Password and security options). But when I set up the screen lock, the "Backup Now" button will appear gray again (Disabled).

I hope to find a solution for this issue, without removing the lock screen security.

Please look in the Samsung U.S.A. community message boards as there are several postings there. Unfortunately, nobody can help me. I haven't been able to connect my Note 10+ to my PC because I don't have a male-to-male USB A-Type to make the connection. That seems to be the only option using the USB debugging for developers ADB command as mentioned here:

I had the same backup problem recently, and the following solution on the xda developers forum worked for me. 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-8/how-to/guide-google-backup-waiting-to-backup-t3895101

Isn't there an easier way to enable Google Backups to Google Drive? I had no problems using this backup option on my previous Android (non-Samsung) phones. 

Please advise!

Thank you.

0 Likes
7 Comments
Galaxy Note
Personally I just use Smart Switch to backup to my external sd card - I find it to be:

a) Faster

b) More complete

than backing up to Google Drive

I remember that I DID have a similar issue with Google Drive backups - But I it sounds like you have taken the necessary steps to enable it.... I don't remember exactly how I solved the issue on my devices.... but if I do I'll post back 🐧

BTW - There's no issues with Google Backups with Lock Screen security enabled.
Oakmario
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

Thanks Shaggyskunk1.

When you say you use Smart Switch to backup to an external SD card, do you mean an SD card plugged directly inside the Note 10+ or via the USB cable to some kind of external SD card reader device?

In any case, I don't have an SD card to pop into my phone right now, but it is an interesting idea. I didn't know Smart Switch could do a back to an internal SD card like that. I'll have to check into that and possibly buy an SD card.

I still would prefer to get the Google Drive backups working again. It was a good solution for my previous phone and worked great there.

0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Hi Oakmario,

Is your device up to date? My Note 10+ has no problem backing up to Google Drive while having security enable on lock screen.

Also, what type of security you use on lock screen? I use Pin and Biometric.
0 Likes
Oakmario
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

Hi Tallman,

Yes, my phone is completely up to date. All Android and Samsung updates have been applied. All apps have been updated from the Google Play Store.

I have Pattern and Fingerprints as security options on my Lock Screen.

Seems nobody has figured this out yet. And according to posters in the Samsung U.S.A. boards, asking Google for help just passes the buck back to Samsung because Google says it's due to the modifications Samsung has made to Android.

I hope my device doesn't brick and I lose everything and have to re-install from scratch again. 

I moved all my settings from my previous phone over to this phone using Samsung's Smart Switch and it did a pretty good job.

I want the backup on Google Drive in case I have to factory reset the phone and I'd like to restore it back to the settings and apps I had before witout spending hours/days resetting everything to my liking.

0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Hmmm...🤔
Interesting...I have the same setting like you. But I my biometric security use face and fingerprint at the same time. But my brand new Note 10+ luckily no google backup problem. Maybe I will try your same security settings and see if I can reproduce the problem.
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Yes I mean that I backup directly to the installed external sd card - No computer - No USB cable - It's pretty slick - It backs up all your app apks - Calls & Texts - Settings - etc - I THINK that it's much faster than using Smart Switch on your computer & After a Factory Reset I'm pretty sure that it's faster than a Google Backup & more complete - Definitely worth getting an external sd card! 🐧
Oakmario
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

I tried all that and it made no difference. The only thing that works is to disable all the security settings on the Lock Screen and set it to None.

Then the "Back up now" button lights up and I can click on it and perform a backup. The backup completed and then I went back to the Lock Screen security settings and put the gesture and fingerprints back on it and the "Back up now" button was greyed out and disabled once again.

I have posted here on the Samsung forums, on the Google Pixel forums (seems Pixels, Samsungs, LG and other phones all have this problem), the Android forum and sent feedback to Google right from the backup app on my phone.

Hopefully someone comes up with an answer soon and fixes it.

Thanks for trying everyone. Keep looking if you can.

0 Likes