Original topic:

Note 20 Ultra Screen Dimming

(Topic created on: 04-18-2022 11:07 PM)
nickname16
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy Note
Anyone know a way to get this phone to STOP automatically dimming in sunlight?!?!?
Super SUPER frustrating.
Instead of brightening in bright ambient light, the thing dims. Obviously this is entirely backward.
And when i say "dims", it dims to the point of near unreadability.......... rendering the screen almost entirely useless in direct daylight.

All adaptive settings are turned off and no ot doesn't just "seem" to do it. Tou can literally watch it slowly darken when exposed to bright light, then recover in the shade.

I have scoured the web for a solution but have come up empty handed.
Hoping someone has the answer otherwise I'll have to ditch this gazillion dollar piece of whatever-you-want-to-call-it for another phone manufacturer that allows reasonable user control.

Cheers

15 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

I've noticed this happen occasionally, I just open Settings > Display & increase the Brightness... maybe I'll have a better answer after some more coffee. 

0 Likes
nickname16
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
Haha, thanks appreciate that.
Even at high brightness it's brutal tbh. Seems some internal setting somewhere is reacting and prioritizing over typical display settings.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

I think that you said you checked all the Settings in Display, did you also check "screen mode"?

Vivid is supposed to be a bit brighter.

Also check if Battery Saving is on in Battery Settings? 

0 Likes
nickname16
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
Yep, looked into all those. Unless there's some magical combination of ABAB⬆️⬆️⬇️⬇️LRLR settings lol, I've played with all the obvious stuff.
Wondering if it's some buried setting or maybe even a Samsung o/s default.
Whatever it is, trying to take pics at the beach or around the pool or just read and respond to messages for work when outside in the sun say, is no less than a frustrating situation.
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
You said you have all adaptive settings turn off? I think you need adaptive brightness turn on? Right? It adjust your brightness brighter in the sun.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

That's what is SUPPOSED to happen, but I've seen a few other people who are having the same issue. I'm not sure, but I think that sometimes the sensor gets a bit confused with bright light?

It's happened to me a few times, so I just manually adjust the Brightness outside. 

0 Likes
nickname16
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
I'll try again, but did have it on originally. All advice I could find online said to turn it off because that's what gives the phone permission to adjust at all.
What I mean is that with it on it was dimming in the bright sun. Regular ambient room light it would adjust appropriately to...... dimmer in dark, brighter in light.
But when it was bright sun (maybe heat is doing it 🤷‍♂️?) you could see the screen dim down.
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Is the problem begins after recent update?
0 Likes
nickname16
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note
Nope. Been a problem for a while. Are you not experiencing this issue with yours?
0 Likes