Original topic:

Google Offers 7 years of OS update.

(Topic created on: 10-06-2023 11:20 AM)
djvn
Active Level 5
Options
Galaxy S
Google announced 7 years of OS update for their pixel 8 series. Samsung should also offer this. At least for Galaxy S series. Please share your thoughts in comments.
7 Comments
SgtStubby
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
I agree. I basically threw away a mint Note 10 plus that I was perfectly happy with because it no longer received security updates. It's criminal. I woukd even paid a fee to keep it secure.
0 Likes
djvn
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Yeah, spending money on new phones every 3-4 years is really bad. I also bought new phone after they stopped giving security updates on my old phone.
SAFOR3V3R
Active Level 6
Galaxy S
Got my S23 ultra because the s10 plus I had for 2½ years stopped receiving support. It's unfortunate
NHOUGH
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Simple answer

I have been a die-hard Samsung for years now. This is the one point that really infuriates me.

I have jailbroken phones over the years and they run fine on subsequent Android versions. It's simply a scam to drive sales of new phones. 

If they don't step up and match. I won't buy Samsung anymore. I will switch to who provides the best support for my money. It's that simple. I have an S9 that is essentially obsolete now, I also have an S21 that is near it. I have 2 other Samsung phones on my account. Based on support I will happily move to another brand that provides better support and value. It's a no-brainer. 

0 Likes
djvn
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
I think Google's move will force other companies to follow. Let's hope for the best.
0 Likes
Day_Walker
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Lol seriously?
You realize GOOGLE was THE LAST manufacturer to up the OS storage support right?
Samsung led the charge by going 4+3 (Security + OS), respectively), the Oppo then many others.

Finally Google did this just before launcing the Pixel 8/8Pro devices. NONE of the others did this just prior to a device launch ONLY Google did!

Let that truly sink in here!

Now consider just how well your Windows Desktop/Laptop you purchased back when Window 8 launched and JUST how well it performs today - storage speeds read/write/ internet browsing speeds or using AI chat windows, how the top GPU cards work with it.
Motherboard firmware updates - especially if you built thi sitself 7years ago just how well it works today.

Tehn come back with all details and your ultimatum.
Dont' forget to include none replaced non purchased updated software as well. Cause THIS i the part MANY Google holao's forget to see in the tag line announcements.

Ask yourself ... why do you think Samsung is the TOP AndroidOS manufacturer?!
1. because they've been making phones since the feature phone days: Long before the OG Matrix was released.
2. Their experience in smartphone OS : Window Smartphone Edition and PocketPC Edition 6.0/6.1/7.1/8.x/ and Symbian OS 2nd and 3rd Edition (the latter on the Innov8 device the very FIRST phoen to feature an OLED screen of ANY kind btw).
3. The factd Samsung makes Screens, Storage, motherboard components and chipsets, Dishwashers, TVs, Tablets, freight Cruise liner ships!, etc.

A scam to drive sales?
4.3 billion smartphoens in use across teh world today and there is FAR TOO MANY disparity amongst them all which OS is supported.

Let me ask you off all the older phones you claim can run the latest AndoridOS (let sjus tclarify we're talking has Google Services here shall we).
Whi of them support eh latest AndroidOS and ALL features, list by model and how old those products are please.
HOw many of them actually have no issues running the latest ANdroiSO supported features without ANY glitch! Go ahead I'll wait.
Which specific models do not overheat doing the above related inquiries I have?

If this was to generate sales How many of the top 10 consistent Android manufacturers have devices shipped but not OS supported and have the top 10 global sales numbers?
^ Now of these which can run the latest SO and FULL services and features without fail in the last 7years?!
^ Of these top 10 manufacturers whats their TOP selling phone in the last 7 years by model and their sales numbers please.?

:Let me ask you do you understand economies of sale, R&D costs by manufacturer ./ year and global revenue and total expenses per year vs revenue vs profits?
^ would it NOT make sense for a manufacture, to continue sales and least marketing of a high end product and NOT spend ANY R&D (barely any at all) for a new product model and just keep selling the existing model?!
A 2yr old devcies, a 4yr old device product that continues to sell, some new firmware updates that enables features BUT spend less than 10 million dollars entirely to do so, less than 2 million dollars for global marketing to continue highlighting a devices and sell it, and cotninue to support firmware and SO updates and security patching - that would make life for your in-house devellopers SO MUCH Easier!!

ASK YOURSEF A VERY ind-depth question here ... why is this NOT done?!
Another ... what would need to change for this to BE done?!
lastly, why is this not simply followed?!
0 Likes
Day_Walker
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Hmm.
Although I fully appreciate where this is coming from, I wonder if anylone has used a smartphone OS or a PC that is 7yrs old with minimal OS updates beyond security updates?

I tried a PowerBook G4 Titanium which released in 20202/2021 back in 2010 and MAN was that thing super slow! Not to think about the IDE hard drive at 100MB/Sec data transer and using a Front Side Bus on the motherboard at 400MB/sec max ... just even using the old Safari Browser across a web that still used Flash on many common corporate sites was jus attrocious.

Googles Tensor chip just released in the Google Pixel Pro 8 is not stellar let alone will ANY SoC released today or in 2024 going to be 7 years from now (2031 the earliest)! Web technologies and HTML 6 and whatever it details will have advnaced so far trust me you'll NOT want to be STUCK using such an old device by then.
- OS security updates safe,
- OS feature updates will likely be minimal after 2yrs as some may be hardware dependent!
- Browser and Internet - features and implementations may not support existing browser and the SoC may not support advanced brwosers in say 4 yrs let alone 7!
- chipset storage speeds would also hamper feture rish features that may require faster interla storage. We already know the 130MB/Second MicroSDXC U1/U3 storage cannot evn match internal UFS4.x storage speeds already and as you're aware MANY manufacturers do NOT include SDXC MicroSD storage in their phones.