Original topic:

Restrict Internet Access for apps (Feature Request for ONE UI 3)

(Topic created on: 02-16-2021 02:01 PM)
LookyHere
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Hi
I would love to have a setting which can restrict an app's internet access just like xiomi's MIUI skin does for apps which I don't feel like should have internet access (such as apps that I don't trust) for both mobile data and wifi. Just to make sure they don't send any data over to their servers without my knowledge.
I did not know where to post this so I'm just posting this as a community post.
17 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I know that it's not exactly what you're looking for, but there's an app on the Play Store called "appops" that gives you pretty close to the ultimate control of your apps. It does require adb & a second app called "shizuku" to enable it without root. You can deny permissions for just about anything, but you should be careful with system apps. 

LookyHere
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
appreciate your help bud 👌🏻✌🏻
Halston
Options
Galaxy S

Hi LookyHere,

Thank you for taking the time to share your suggestion with us. We are taking this as feedback and your feedback is truly appreciated and will help Samsung create a better experience for all Galaxy device users.

LookyHere
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thankyou for your reply. Hopefully I'm not the only one who wants this.
One small question for you:
Is there a way you can make a poll or a question post so that other one ui fans/users can give their input on this feature?
I had recently suggested a friend of mine to buy S21 but he chose a MIUI flagship level phone (don't remember which one anymore) over S21 just because he could get this internet restriction so he could restrict data usage on apps with unrecognized developers and some other extra minor features on MIUI which didn't exist on One UI. Honestly, for me it's not a dealbreaker but I'd love to have it on my device.
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Xiaomi / MIUI can't be compared with Samsung's One UI V3.0/V3.1

In fact Xiaomi's os is a hot mess compared to other OEMs & if it's only "benefit" is be able to disable network connections for selected apps, I wouldn't walk away from Xiaomi, I'd run. 

LookyHere
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
That's the reason I'm using one ui today. After being using one ui 3 for some time now, I can comfortably say that it's the most polished and feature rich android experience you can get right now.
But then, you know people want what they want. It's just a matter of personal preference. Some people don't care if the that particular OS isn't good enough if it delivers the features which they want.
Danny723
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Well, I'm new with OneUI on s21, but I had Xiaomi's MIUI in past, also Huawei's EMUI and stock Android with Nokia. I can say, that MIUI is the best of them. OneUI is right behind them on 2nd place. About EMUI and clean Android, there is not much of difference, I didn't care much about neither one of them. I missed some UI specific features, but appreciated its fast response over EMUI.

asifakberali
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
My oh my, wouldn't that be great? But, Android wouldn't let that happen. You're talking a mini firewall security. Well, as an alternative, you can use Samsung's battery saving mode which really restricts apps such as, Facebook and Instagram draining your battery and data. I always have it on, and I could customise which apps get to use unlimited data and battery. 😃
LookyHere
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
This already exists in android 10 on MIUI devices. Well isn't it what android was made for, to make impossible stuff work.