Original topic:

S23 Ultra stuck in safemode bootloop after OneUI 6.0 update

(Topic created on: 12-12-2023 10:07 AM)
gb514
Beginner Level 4
Options
Galaxy S

Hi everybody,

Today I got the latest OneUI 6.0 update (stable version, non-beta on my S23 Ultra (SM-S918W)).

After installing it, my S23 Ultra restarted and instead of booting system, started rebooting itself around 6-7 times. After letting it reboot itself a few times, a message came up in boot manager with red color, saying  that "the system did not start properly, some files may be corrupted, etc...."

I've managed  to get into the safe mode to get my stuff backup'ed (which I'm still in the process of) and I wanted to first wipe the cache/partition.

I did 3 deep factory reset at a samsung service center and tried to update the stock firmware to the OneUI 6.0 and restore my back up data from samsung cloud, (only calls and sms history and the contact list) but it always end with the same problem. The samsung employees don't know what to do anymore. They decided to keep my phone to do a deep diagnostic thinking it is probably a hardware failure, but they just trying something.  I suggested that maybe my back up data from samsung cloud was also corrupted, but look like it's unlikely that can be the source of the problem since the only think i tried to restore was my phone call history, sms history and contact list. 

My phone is still under warranty. 

Somebody else is facing this issue or am I the only one?

To clarify - I didn't touch my S23U while it was updating ( i fell a sleep during the update) and it was plugged-in during the update. 

I saw another post very similar to my situation so i am not the only one for sure. 

I am in Canada and got the update notification in the night of saturday december 9, 2023 to sunday december 10. 

my roomate have the same phone (exactly the same just another color) and got is update monday december 4, 2023. 

Thanks for your help in advance,

G.B.

0 Likes
6 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Quick assessment. Sounds like it may have been a corrupted download. If the download was not "complete", it could cause it. It could be a hardware issue, but from what you've said, that seems to be less likely? 

It's strange that you just received the One UI V6.0 update, it has been available in Canada since November 21st. 

If it was my device, I'd download the Samsung Firmware with Frija & Flash it with Odin, after first performing a Factory Reset.

In all likelihood that is what a service center would do.

I never restore anything from the Cloud, always from an sd card / USB OTG device or a computer. 

I think that you're right to think that what you have restored (Calls, SMS & Contacts would be unlikely to cause this issue).

You said that you were trying to update to One UI V6.0, is the device on One UI V6.0 now, or?

I've heard of others (extremely rarely) have issues with an update, and certainly if there's no hardware issue, Flashing the Firmware via Odin always resolves the problem. 

gb514
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S

I have the BIOS summary log and full log after the phone crashing, i dont know what to do with that information, but there is probably somebody at samsung that could understand what is happening to my phone ?

0 Likes
dubs02
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
Same problem on my 22 Ultra. It updated to 6.0 this morning. Keeps resting then going into safetymode system ui.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

If you're saying that it's Booting into Recovery mode, backup your device in Recovery option & Factory Reset your device. 

That SHOULD fix the problem for you. 

0 Likes
dubs02
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
It's stuck in this weird mode where I can use apps but only one button works, and I have no menus or displays like time, battery life, service bars.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

If it was my device, I would *ABSOLUTELY* & *DEFINITELY* Backup with Smart Switch & Factory Reset.

If that didn't fix the issue, then I would Download the Correct Samsung Firmware to my computer & Factory Reset again & IMMEDIATELY Power OFF the device & Boot into Download Mode & Flash the Firmware with Odin (which is essentially what a service center would do). 

0 Likes