Original topic:

s8 system crashing

(Topic created on: 12-21-2018 07:36 AM)
AJ81
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
I'm on my second replacement S8 in less than a month.

The issue with my first phone started about 8 months after I got it, the same thing started almost right away with the second phone, after roughly a week.

The issue being that while using the phone, it would just randomly, suddenly shut down. Screen goes black, blue light glows, off. Turn it back on it would load to the SAMSUNG screen and then crashes to off again.
 Keep trying, it'd load to the PIN screen, sign in and then die. Sometimes I'd get past the sign in screen and be able to start an app before it would die.
Usually it would take me over an hour to get it working again, after charging it completely, and eventually only after being able to get into the boot menu and clearing the cache partition, which in itself is a feat as the phones would crash during the Android blue screen, or show the dead android no command and then crash after several seconds.
If it didnt crash, I'd be able to get it to switch to the black screen where it should given the reset options, but instead shows an error message at the bottom, then crash after several seconds.
Again, after several tries, the phone would stay on long enough that the error message would change to the boot menu where I'd be able to clear the partition and reboot the phone.

Ok, that being said, the problem could not he recreated on demand... the phone would either be fine for several hours, several days, a week etc before it would do it again. It would happen at any battery percentage, in any app.
Eventually, it started doing it while the phone was charging at night. I'd wake up, the phone would be off, and I'd start the whole process again.
SIM in, SIM out, Sd card in or out, doesnt matter. No water or physical damage.

None of the googled suggestions were able to help beyond wiping the cache which only solved the problem temporarily.

Factory reset did not help as it would still crash after first start up while setting up the phone.

Called Samsung tech support who told me the phone would have to be examined by a tech centre. I'm on the West Coast, tech centre is in the East. Not happening

So I did my Telus device care and got a replacement. $280 later, 1st replacement does the same thing after a week.
Call back, get a second replacement under the 90 warranty, which I received and set up yesterday. So far, no problems... but the last one took a week to start.

To set up this phone I completely wiped and formatted my SD card. Didnt restore anything from the Samsung back up, or Google cloud, just my contacts and passwords. Scared to install the system update that's waiting.

I dont time for this. I use my phone for work, and so my kids can get a hold of me in an emergency.
My husband also has the same phone, but in a different colour and he hasn't had any issues.
0 Likes
9 Comments
Galaxy S
Oh crab, that's a long text😂
AJ81
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
sorry, I have a tendency to explain in detail
0 Likes
Galaxy S
I just read 1/4 of it, maybe it would help if you would make the Remote Support thing on the Samsung Members App, don't know if this will help but you could give it a try
0 Likes
Galaxy S
What did Samsung say about that issue?
0 Likes
AJ81
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
to take it to a tech centre. I'm on the Canadian West Coast... tech centre is in the East
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Oh, that's complicated. Maybe you can try the Remote Support. You don't have anything to lose
0 Likes
RichMan1
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
It's not possible to say what's wrong without inspecting the device. If it's not a software issue, definitely motherboard is having problems.
It's possible Telus is giving you faulty phones. If you can't go to the tech center, go to a 3rd party servicing center near you. They'll be able to figure it out.
It'll void your warranty. But you don't need it so.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
Yes, that's probably the best thing to do
0 Likes
oooOmitoOooo
Active Level 10
Galaxy S
dial *#99OO#

Generate logCat and up dump... send us the files.
0 Likes