Original topic:

Will eSIM ever come to the Canadian Galaxy S20 series? If so, when?

(Topic created on: 06-30-2022 10:43 AM)
Danyboy191
Active Level 4
Options
Galaxy S

So back in November, Samsung announced that the eSIM functionality would be coming via One UI 4.0 however it was announced that it was only for the S21, S21+, S21 Ultra and the Note 20 series however nothing was ever announced about whether or not eSIM would be coming to the S20 series which is a huge disappointment given that when the S20 series was introduced to the world back at Samsung Unpacked in 2020, it was marketed as the first phone in the Samsung Galaxy lineup to feature eSIM support. Since then, only a select handful of countries around the world have seen eSIM support come to fruition on the Galaxy S20 series. We here in Canada (and those in the US as well) have been left in the dark about the likelihood of still getting eSIM support on the S20 series and now that the S22 series is out and available, it causes further uncertainty. With that said, could someone from Samsung please provide an answer with 100% certainty as to whether or not the S20 series is still on track to get eSIM support? There was strong hope that it would come with the rollout of One UI 4.0 which happened in early February but that didn't happen so, is all hope gone? For me personally, eSIM is nice to have but I still feel disappointed that Samsung has still yet to fulfill the promise it made to enable eSIM on Canadian (and US) Galaxy S20 series phones. Many others have felt that Samsung has lied to them about eSIM support on the S20, especially here in North America. 

31 Comments
freewill_neo
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I'm waiting with s20 fe I was told it may be through one 4 ui..but we didn't get ..now waiting on 4.1 update and the wait continues
0 Likes
GodlessOrigin
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
From what I know Esim has to be activated by the carriers. Here is a list of countries and Samsung devices that support Esim and have it activated. Hope it helps clarify. From what I can tell no Canadian carriers have activated
It is for the S20 series. It could be updated

https://www.samsung.com/in/support/newsalert/117231/
0 Likes
Danyboy191
Active Level 4
Galaxy S

I disagree with you about it being the carrier's responsibility to enable eSIM on the S20 series. Samsung made the phones and they marketed the phones as the first phones in the Samsung ecosystem to have eSIM support so it's 100% Samsung's responsibility to enable the feature via a software update. It's the responsibility of the carrier to provide eSIM support to phones, that much is true but they don't have the power to enable a feature that the manufacturer (Samsung) has left disabled on the phone. The SIM Card manager section is what we should see under Connections > Mobile Networks, if the eSIM was enabled but it's not there. Carriers don't have the ability to make that appear. It's up to Samsung to do that and so far, it looks like they're dragging their feet on this one.

GodlessOrigin
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Lol so my note 20u came off the assembly line with Esim support. It only worked a few months only after Rogers activated on their end. Just like how my Note 20u can use esim on some carriers that now support esim. My GF is with Fizz and has s22u which supports esim but Fizz doesn't support esim. In ppl could use esim on iphone months b4 the Samsung was supported by the same carrier. So you can disagree all you want. I use the non carrier branded phones and they always have different things from carrier-branded phones will have features the unlocked don't have. Showing Samsung workd with carrier on every single update. Carriers have a say in what they want to offer.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Galaxy S
Danyboy is correct here. I have note 20 from tmobile and was able to use the esim from rogers way before rogers started supporting esim for samsung. It's on samsung to turn it on and not carriers
RelicOrigins
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Just Recently ESIM is available in Canada for Samsung Devices. I am currently researching what devices exactly. I am currently using it in a Galaxy ZFlip3 

You need to be able to download the latest update from Samsung to be able to use ESIM. 

This Update is 

Current Version: F711WVLU2DVEE / F711WOYV2DVEE / F711WVLU2DVEE

Security Patch Level: June 1, 2022

Hope this helps, I was very excited when my device accepted ESIM. this has been long awaited

0 Likes
Danyboy191
Active Level 4
Galaxy S
That doesn't mean much for the S20 though. When I last spoke to Samsung a week and a half ago, they weren't willing to provide a timeline as to when we could see eSIM rolled out to the S20 and instead just said that they'll pass on the feedback to the proper team. Hopefully it comes soon though to the S20 in Canada.
0 Likes
Members_RDngA4M
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

I hope they enable eSIM soon.  The S20 is promised another OS feature update.  I really want eSIM support, and I don't want to have to get another device so soon to get it.  I upgraded to the S20 from the S10+.  I tried sending them any email about the eSIM support, but email submission page is messed up.

Members_PekyS9r
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy S

Seriously what a joke that this still isn't enabled today. C'mon Samsung