Original topic:

dryer cracked drum

(Topic created on: 05-19-2020 05:08 AM)
wmontreal
Beginner Level 2
Options
Others

My 2 yr old dryer suddenly has a crack in the drum and makes a thumping sound. This seems to be a recurrent quality issue in Samsung dryers as you can find from a simple search that there is a lot of people complaining about the same problem. I called your customer assistance and was surprised by the response: " repair and pay this yourself"and "you can claim any damages to your clothes". As a reliable company, Samsung should take responsibility for the products that hard working people buy from them. Im still paying for this appliance that I bought at Best Buy and I expect to receive proper assistance for this issue, please contact me.

IMG_3309.jpgIMG_3310.jpg

0 Likes
8 Comments
Kinsley
Options
Others
"Hi @wmontreal, We realize that you have been greatly inconvenienced by this situation. Unfortunately, this type of damage would not be covered under the Samsung warranty and you would be charged for the repair. Please contact any Samsung authorized service center to get it repaired. Please use the below link to find the service center details.

0 Likes
MapleLiefMike
Beginner Level 2
Others

I have the same issue, Dryer is 2.5 years old. I can understand if it is 5-10 years old but seriously!?! It seems like this is a pretty common issue for these dryers and something should be done. I will not be recommending any Samsung products in the future. Very poor and cheap product and even worse costumer support for a common issue on Samsungs end.

IMG_8832.JPG

0 Likes
jflassonde
Beginner Level 2
Others

I called Samsung Support recently about this exact same issue on my unit (Model number: DV45H7000EW/AC). I can't believe it! Exact same thing at the exact same place. The crack appeared in the back of the drum where the rollers are placed. We noticed it when the dryer started making a thumping noise and ripped clothes and sheets.

I was told the same thing as you, wmontreal, by the first level of support. The second level told me to call a service center to diagnose the problem. She was clear that Samsung would not pay for the diagnostic fees but they might do something about the parts and labor once they get the report from the service center. This is very frustrating because we're kept in the dark whether Samsung will back their product or not. It sounds like they don't believe me and they won't acknowledge it is a recurring issue with their dryers.

I'm appalled Samsung would suggest this is a "type of damage". From the evidences (many people having the exact same issue), it sounds like a manufacturing defect or planned obsolescence.

We bought it in December 2015, so it is less than 5 years old.

Here are my own pictures:

Crack at the back of the drumCrack at the back of the drum

CloseupCloseup

0 Likes
Kinsley
Options
Others
Hey@jflassonde,
We can understand your concern, but it seems that there are physical damages on your dryer and it would not be covered under the Samsung warranty and it is a paid service.
Please contact any Samsung authorized service center to get it repaired. Please use the below link to find the nearest service center details by using your postal code.
0 Likes
jwyjr
Beginner Level 2
Others

Is the Cracked Drum Problem caused by the thin-walled drum or by a defective design of the roller flywheels?
I have a Samsung DV210AEW/XAA Dryer, purchased in July 2012. In 2017, the dryer started making a loud bumping noise and I discovered that the Dryer Drum was cracked. I spent over $400 to have an Appliance Repairman replace the drum. In October 2020, the drum cracked again. Looking on YouTube, I found a way to repair the drum using Fiber Glass and Epoxy. The repair lasted about 3 months before another Crack appeared. So, in January 2021, I ordered a new OEM Drum and replaced it myself for about $250. Now, 18 months later, the new (3rd drum) has cracked.
I have contacted Samsung Customer Service and all they will do is refer me to a Samsung repairman in my area. I have contacted the local repairman and all they will do is replace the drum with another Samsung OEM Dryer Drum, which I do not want. I have asked if there is a heavier duty drum that will fit or if the roller wheels are the problem causing the drum to crack, but all they will do is replace the drum.
This is a widely published complaint and there are numerous complaints you can easily find with an internet search. Surely, Samsung has investigated this problem and can at least give a solution for a permanent fix, even if I have to pay for it. I will not have a new Samsung OEM Dryer Drum installed if it will only last a year or two.

Banned1
Beginner Level 2
Others

I would love to get in touch with other Samsung customers who have experienced a cracked drum on their Samsung dryer, as well as anyone who purchased from Home Depot or another retailer.  This has obviously been a known problem for several years, yet the discontinued products were still being sold.  Although there are many reasons to discontinue a specific model, it would seem as though the drums cracking are the primary cause.  How could any retailer continue to sell products with an obvious defect?  That is inexcusable.  Our dryer was just out of warranty when the drum cracked and we ended up having a load of jeans shredded.  We are not wealthy and this was a huge purchase for us.  Samsung was kind enough to offer the parts without charge but I cannot for the life of me find anyone who will give me a quote on repair because we live in a very rural area and I don't have a clue which parts would have been affected.  As well, Home Depot tells me that they have no obligation to their customers once the warranty has expired, which is ridiculous.  If you are selling an item that might be a ticking time bomb, you need to accept responsibility whenever it goes boom!  Has customer loyalty become an obsolete factor in business?  I'm thoroughly disgusted by this entire experience.  

Synette
Beginner Level 3
Others

Same thing  happened to my dryer. Looks like it's been cracked for a while and didn't notice. Mine cracked in the front under the flywheel, I was replacing the heating element when I noticed it. 

Texas, bought at Lowe's. 

Model #DV42H5200EP/A3

SERIAL #0ABE5BBG300166L

Bmirenda14
Beginner Level 4
Others

I saw something in the back of my dryer today that I thought might be lint but when I leaned it it was a big crack that looks just like everyone else here's , I think there must be a defect in these dryers Samsung. My brother is an attorney for the BBB, I'm going to ask if we have any recourse since you don't seem to be standing behind your product even though it's a Recurring issue , why isn't there a recall

1000010473.jpg

1000010474.jpg

0 Likes