Original topic:

How do I block a spam text from a non-valid number?

(Topic created on: 05-27-2019 12:47 PM)
Keyres
Active Level 1
Options
Others
I have been receiving a spam text from an email address 2x an hour for 3 days now. I'm using the texting app that came with my Samsung s9+ and I can't block the texts because it says it's "not a valid phone number". I tried asking support, and they just keep sending me a form-letter answer about unsyncing my email from SMS in the Samsung email app, but I never even set up the Samsung email app so that's obviously not going to help me.

I tried Googling it, and everything says to go to "Block Phrases" but that doesn't seem to exist anymore. 

Please help, I really don't want to have to download a different texting app. 
11 Comments
Keyres
Active Level 1
Others
I can't block it because it contains no numbers at all, just letters. Every time I try to block it it tells me I can't because it's not a number, it's an email address in the number field that contains no numbers. blocking it through email isn't going to help, because it's not emailing me, it's texting me, and my email and text are not linked whatsoever. I've attached a photo, you can see at the top where there should be a phone number there's an email, which the app says I can't block because it's not a number
Keyres
Active Level 1
Others
I found a fix, actually. I saved it as a contact, removed the email from the phone number field and put it in the email field, and put a random number (123) in the number field, then I was able to block it. It seems to have worked, it should have sent me a text sometime between 3:13-3:18 and it's 3:24 now and I haven't received a text.
Tyanneh
Beginner Level 4
Others

Can I ask how you saved it as a contact? I can't seem to find an option to do that :<

0 Likes
Keyres
Active Level 1
Others
Saving it as a contact was one of the first things I tried when it started happening 3 days ago. it didn't work. Saving it as a contact, moving the email address out of the number field and adding a number there is what eventually worked
yuditiar
Beginner Level 2
Others

how save to contact, i cant do this

0 Likes
Hersbird
Beginner Level 2
Others

If Samsung is listening how about an optional automatically block all texts and calls from invalid numbers. They are always going to be scam/spam. Help us out Samsung!

yuditiar
Beginner Level 2
Others

hopefully, please samsung help us

other competitor already can do this, just tap and hold that spam message , then can '' add to blacklist'

0 Likes
J2Mo
Active Level 1
Others
Samsung told me not their problem and I have to ask my carrier (Bell). I told them but Apple ALREADY does this. I'm ready for a new phone so ya, iPhone here I come! Samsung you are downright stupid for ignoring this for so long.
Nave8
Beginner Level 2
Others

Three (!!!) Years later - this problem still exist