Original topic:

Samsung Trade in program - never received an email, now they are charging me $424.88

(Topic created on: 08-29-2022 12:29 PM)
Furbaby_mom_2121
Active Level 1
Options
Promotions

This is in Ontario, Canada - if that matters...

I see that there have been a lot of issues with the Samsung Trade In Program...but I haven't found a post that will help me. 

Earlier this year, I purchased an S22 Ultra and I received the following emails:

- "order confirmation" on Feb 24, 2022

- "order delay" March 23, 2022

- "goods are on the way" April 1, 2022

- "order has been delivered" April 4, 2022

- "Samsung Trade in Program Charge notification" Aug. 16, 2022

I have been trying to find someone to help me figure out why they never sent me an email with the return address label so I could return my old phone, but they proceed to debit my bank account $424.88 due to non-return of the device.  I have tried to contact people to ask for the missing email, but they replied,

"The email was sent out on 04/29/22

with the shipping label, and as per terms and conditions we are unable to accept the trade in and clawback will occur.

Apologizes for the inconveniences that this might cause you."

Per the Terms and Conditions, they were supposed to send me the email - but they didn't

I have no other emails from them. And trying to reach customer service is pointless. I call and they say, I'll send an email and they will get back to you. 

My point is, they didn't honour the agreement; how can they take funds from my bank account?  

I have the device and wanted to return it, but they never told me how. 

What can I do to rectify this?

I created a ticket, but they just said (paraphrasing): we sent the email, and now it too late, so too bad.

Who else can I contact?

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
10 Comments
Theblueberry
Active Level 6
Promotions
Emails don't have a 100% delivery success rate. So you can't say they never sent it because you didn't get it. All they have to do is show a properly dated sent receipt of that email and it's entirely your problem then.

But also, you are at fault too, you agreed to send in a device using a shipping label they were providing you with. It is your responsibility as much as theirs.
So you not checking in with them and asking where your label is sometime between then and now, is your fault entirely.
AmeriCanuck
Active Level 8
Promotions
The OP said they did try to contact them about the return label. Was this it was sent, but they didn't get it.
0 Likes
Promotions

Yes, at first, I called and got a generic:  Just wait, they will send you an email. 

Fast-forward months later and I got an email - saying they are clawing back the $424 for non-return of the device. 

But I have the device, and I would have returned it - had I known how and where to send it. 

And when I call the toll free #, they don't have anyone that can help...they have staff that just take your information and create a ticket and send an email to...somewhere else.  So I can't actually speak to a person that has the ability to make things right. 

I even sent a message through the Samsung webpage, where you select your Registered device and tell them what's wrong - they didn't eve read the message.  (i told them that I was trying to return my old device and got an email advising they were charging me for not returning it.)  They replied: we understand your device is not working, please call us.

iFlYSoLo
Expert Level 5
Promotions
Speechless
Day_Walker
Active Level 7
Promotions
Well First did you search your junk mail folder and ALL folders?!

Do you have any rules?!

I'll guarantee you a trace can be done at Samsung to PROOVE you email service provider received the email - I do this every week for 10 yrs in the corporate office so do NOT state bs about emails for things you do not fully understand

Since you never once stated you checked you junk mail folders nor never ensured any sever rules affected this, especially if Samsung's smpt was previously marked as spam.

Moreover why only check emails from Samsung if a third party is doing the trade in on their behalf?!

Hmmmm
0 Likes
Axton
Options
Promotions

Hi, could you please share email id and order number of your device in direct message?
Please check the direct message.
So that we can check with online shopping.
Please check the direct message by following the below instructions and reply to us with the requested information.
(Link: https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/community/ct-p/ca-community ) and
click on the Message icon at the top right(Samsung Members) >> Inbox >> Reply to the DM (Direct Message).
OR
Viewing your Direct messages Inbox from your device.
1. On the Members app go to the Community tab.
2. Click on your profile picture and username
3. Click on Direct message

Promotions

Thanks Axton.

I am not sure about online shopping, but I also called Trade In and Orders, e-commerce team at 1-855-726-8721, but they advised they only deal with USA orders, not Canada. 

0 Likes
tumaru
Beginner Level 4
Promotions
Call your bank and try to do a charge back maybe? Or try to return it for refund?
0 Likes
Promotions

This doesn't sound good.  I thought it would be an easy process - it's Samsung!  I've never done a trade in before, but this has been a difficult process after all. 

I paid via Paypal, so they said they'd take the funds through Paypal (from my bank account) and there is no way to dispute the process in Paypal. 

I hope your daughter has a much easier experience.  

0 Likes