Workout started on phone doesn't use hearth rate from Galaxy Watch

(Topic created on: 01-11-2021 10:45 PM)
Herrraag
Active Level 1
Options
Samsung Health

Hi everyone

Problem description:

I like to ski and roller skate (depending on season) but both of these activities are missing from Samsung Health app on my watch (Galaxy Watch 42mm) which is a known problem for over 3 years now. 

It would be easier to start the workout on my watch but it is OK for me to start skiing workout on my phone instead. When I start a workout on my phone, heart rate from watch is not recorded for some reason, even though it is connected and is visible under accessories. When workout is started from watch (for example running), then heart rate is recorded.

Am I missing something or is not possible to record heart rate from supported accessory when workout is started on phone?

15 Comments
Samsung Health
I know it might not be the same, but you could try "Other Workout" on your watch for when you go skiing.
0 Likes
Herrraag
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

I have done that and it sort of works. If there was the possibility to add at least average heart rate to the skiing workout based on "Other workout" I would be kind of OK with it. This way used calories would also be somewhat accurate. Currently 10km skiing with GPS is roughly 80kcal...

Still it beggars belief that something so simple is not implemented from the begging...

0 Likes
asifakberali
Active Level 8
Samsung Health
It would be best to record heart rate with your watch since it's attached to your wrist. Start the workout on your watch, and the data will be transferred to your account which you can then view on the phone. I do biking and use the phone to record the distance, speed and time. I don't expect the phone to record my heart 💓 beat since it's in my pocket.
0 Likes
Herrraag
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

Of course I use watch to measure heart rate, this was not the question.

Can you add the heart rate data to your biking workout afterwards or do you just keep an eye on your heart rate during workout? If not then it is pretty much the same advice Cprice gave.

I just like to analyze the data about different parts of my route.

0 Likes
asifakberali
Active Level 8
Samsung Health
So, start the workout on the device which records the heart rate. I know you want to start on either devices and be able to record/sync the heart rate. I hope I had a watch to test it out though. 😢
0 Likes
LEAPONOVER
Beginner Level 2
Samsung Health

The point is he wants to record the workout on the phone because it will track laps, show GPS and give him workout notifications, where as the watch only tracks heart rate, calories burned and duration.  The phone has way more details, we just want the heart rate to show up on the phone.  It's frustrating that they aren't working together...

0 Likes
Halston
Options
Samsung Health

Hey Herrraag,
Please make sure that your watch is updated to the latest version. Samsung recommends keeping the devices up to date to get a better experience from it. You can use the apps which are available on your watch or from the Galaxy wearable app only.
When your phone and watch are connected, you can use the Galaxy Wearable app to regularly check for updates. However, if you initially set up your watch without a phone, you can still update the watch.
Update watch software with a phone
On the connected phone, open the Galaxy Wearable app. Tap the Home tab, and then tap Watch software update or Band software update > Download and install. For some watches, you will need to tap About watch, About band, or About Gear to access the software update menu.
Update watch software without a phone
Note: These steps do not apply to a Galaxy Fit.
On the watch, press the Power key, and then navigate to and tap Settings > General. Tap Update watch software to check for updates. For a Gear Fit2 Pro, tap Gear info, and then tap Update Gear software.
The Galaxy Watch can automatically measure and track your heart rate. Your Galaxy Watch measures your heart rate at regular intervals. This feature may not function properly while you are moving.
Samsung Health measures your heart rate using lights and sensors located on the back of your watch. But you’ll need to make sure you're doing things properly to get the best measurement results. Check out the following information:

- For a mid-workout measurement, take a brief break before taking your heart rate.
- Take measurements when seated and when you are relaxed for the most accurate reading.
- Do not move your body while taking heart rate measurements. Doing so may cause your heart rate to be recorded inaccurately.
- If the measurement is very different from the expected heart rate, rest for 30 minutes and then measure it again.
- If your heart rate is extremely high or low, measurements may be inaccurate.
- Wear the watch snugly above the wrist. Do not fasten the watch band too tightly. Avoid attaching third party bands to your watch, and only use the band included with your watch or a Samsung-approved band specifically designed for it.
- Measurements may need to be repeated at least five times for the most accurate results.
- Remove the protective plastic from the heart rate measurement sensor before taking measurements.
- If the heart rate sensor is not working properly, wipe the sensor and adjust the position of the watch to sit above your wrist.

0 Likes
Herrraag
Active Level 1
Samsung Health

That's not really an answer to the problem but thanks anyway. 

As I understand, even though phone and watch are connected, they are not really connected during a workout. What you do on a phone you do only on phone and vice versa.

Can development team be notified about this issue?

0 Likes
MZagora
Beginner Level 1
Samsung Health

I have the same experience. 😞

0 Likes