Original topic:

Concerns the accuracy of Blood Pressure Measurement on watch 6

(Topic created on: 03-08-2024 11:31 AM)
Al-001
Active Level 7
Options
Wearables
We know the measurements are used as references other than for medical examination, and the test results should be accurate-close enough. I have been using the feature on watch 6 for about half of year, and have been experiencing the unexpected / weird symptoms/behaviors of test results. Seems to me all monthly test results are totally based on your body condition when the re-calibration being taken and might not be your real body condition at the specified test moment. For example, on the recalibration moment, if your blood pressure was low, then the entire monthly test results were mostly low; If your blood pressure was high on the re-calibration moment, all tests in the month were high; in other case if your blood pressure was normal on the re-calibration time, your monthly measurement were normal. Does anyone have the similar test results? I am concerning about the accuracy rate of test results and I am not sure how much I can depend on those test results.
0 Likes
13 Comments
SgtStubby
Active Level 9
Wearables
Ya I agree 100%. Seems more like a gimmick.
SgtStubby
Active Level 9
Wearables
My wife's BP fluctuates a fair bit but she can't wear these cause it causes burns to her skin
0 Likes
Al-001
Active Level 7
Wearables
Sorry about that.
0 Likes
Ray1
Expert Level 2
Wearables

You are not wrong about your observations about the blood pressure readings from the watch.

Being a person with blood pressure fluctuations and problems I don't rely on my watch at all for readings, as you say they can be influenced by your monthly calibration of the watch.

That being said I am not sure that it is all a problem with the watch not being reliable and maybe more to do with the location it is taking pressure readings that is not reliable. How many doctors or hospitals have you seen taking blood pressure readings on your wrist??

Our fire department purchased a wrist blood pressure monitor and it wasn't long before it is sitting on the shelf and replaced with an arm tester because the wrist one was not at all reliable. 

Fatwa
Active Level 9
Wearables
Are you just speculating? Or have you taken real-time examples post calibration? How much were they off after?
0 Likes
Al-001
Active Level 7
Wearables
Good question. The off is big such as SYS about 20 and DIA about 10 for my one month results of post calibration.

The conclusion is that the moment of doing the re-calibration is very important.

When your BP is lower or higher at that day/time, you can't re-calibrate the watch because the post calibration will affect all of your real-time measurement until next re-calibration.
0 Likes
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Wearables
How many concurrent measurements did you take over the month to arrive at this value? For clarity, I am asking did you use another blood pressure measurement device (such as the one you used for calibration) concurrently when taking watch samples throughout the month?

If havent tried this, but I just did. Im about half way through the calibration cycle and my watch5 picked up 123/75 and my LifeSource device picked up 128/80.

Directionally, this is good enough for me, but I only have taken 1 x cross measurement.

0 Likes
Al-001
Active Level 7
Wearables
Yes, your test results are reasonable and acceptable. I did tests a couple of times a day after I swimming / exercise or morning or afternoon. Yes, I use other BP machines and traditional manually measure tools as well.

The watch6 mostly is reasonable when I do the re-calibrate at my body's good moment.
0 Likes
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Wearables
Do you increase your calibration cadence?
0 Likes