Original topic:

Note 9 Charging and Other Issues

(Topic created on: 08-21-2019 09:08 AM)
ream
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy Note
After the recent firmware update, my Note 9 can only be charged from my car.   This problem began sometime on Sunday afternoon,  August 18th.  Even with yesterday's latest and greatest firmware update, the problem has not been resolved.

Yes, it was charging from the Samsung wired charger, PCs and other charging stations before.  Yes, I have inspected all the cords and they are not damaged.  The phone charge port is free from dirt and/or debris.

Even though the phone is on, double tapping the black screen for the white circle (or square) has been very unsuccessful.   I have to press the power button momentarily on the right side.

Since late Sunday, the Android Auto app does not connect to the car suround system; however, it will charge the phone.  Unable to do hands free via Andoid Auto but Bluetooth works.  This is distracting while driving.

All apps are currently up to date.  The question is how does the owner know which app can be the cause?

Restart the phone several times to no success.

Turned off then on the phone several time to no success. 

Performed several reboots to no success.

The phone has never been dropped even though it is in a Otterbox case.

0 Likes
3 Comments
Galaxy Note
I'd start with using the Diagnostics on the Samsung Members app.

It's EXTREMELY unlikely that any OTA caused this issue.

If it was my device - I'd start with the simple things - ie: Boot into Recovery and Wipe Cache (ignore comments from the peanut gallery).

If you don't see any issues from the Diagnostics - & the issue persists - If it was my Note9 - I'd backup with Smart Switch & Factory Reset...

If you still have issues with charging - Samsung Service Center is your best bet 🐧
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
Sounds like more of a hardware problem on the phones USB port.

I would separate the diagnostic to one issue at a time.

You mention inspecting cables but not replacing or swapping them.

Device only charges in car:

1. Out of the car, try plugging your charging brick and cable into another device. Does it charge the test device? if yes, try removing your case to confirm the case isnt preventing a proper cable seating.

if no, replace the charging brick or cable and try again.

If the brick/cable charges other devices, but not yours, chances are there is either debris in your USB port, or the port is cooked. At your own risk, you can first try blowing the port with a can of compressed air and retest. Following that, some electronic contact cleaner.

You might not have dropped it, but a small splash of pop of coffee, or debris might have found it's way onto the pins.

The same port issue might be causing your Android auto connection issues. However, if you have the resources to do so, you can eliminate a potential problem with your car android by testing your device on another car with Android auto.

if the problem is duplicated on a different android auto, you can be sure it's your device.

There are many youtube videos out there on cleaning your USB port.

Remove the case just to be sure. Even if it worked before, as the case housings can crack/shift.

If no joy, after this and Shaggy,l software suggestions. You likely have a cooked port and will need to send it to Samsung.

Andikay
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

Having similar problem since update. My charging port says moisture in port. Bought new cords used the original with cable that came with phone. Seems too coincidental it started right after update. There are many note owners suggesting this in a forum but with no resolution & all having the same issue or similar with battery or port not working properly or more intermittently working. 

Took mine to my carrier and she said the said that she pulled up info as this being a new issue as well. She said to contact Samsung but she would upgrade me to the latest note 20. If I traded the phone they would give me 500$. Now that they have the new 5G out it truly makes me wonder if this would be a way to get me to spend money on their latest phone. Until this issue I've had no desire to trade. I like to keep my phones as long as I can and its not even 2 years old. Clearing cache and resetting did nothing, will charge on the charging pad but its hit ir miss with the cords. 

0 Likes