Original topic:

Spam text messages

(Topic created on: 06-26-2021 12:31 PM)
dsisy
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy A
For the last month or so I get random spam text messages.  Example:  hotwire.group. goingdhgry.gmail.com.  I have no idea why this started happening.  I've has my phone and Telus provider for almost 2 years.  Never had this issue.  What is most annoying is it is text message.
10 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

You can go to "details" of the unwanted Text & Block the number. 

This screen shot is with Google Messages, but the same option would be available in Samsung Messages as well. 

Screenshot_20210626_160803.jpg

Vic20
Active Level 10
Galaxy A
I generally forward these spam messages to Telus and let them handle it at their end.

Reporting spam or phishing on your TELUS mobile device:

Forward the message to 7726 with the word SPAM in the body of the message.
0 Likes
Halston
Options
Galaxy A

Hi dsisy,
You can block the messages from unwanted numbers on your phone by following the steps below.
Open the Messages app> Tap on three dots in the top right corner> Settings> Block numbers and messages> Add the messages or numbers.
Thank you RedDogRabbit for your information.

0 Likes
SCH1
Active Level 2
Galaxy A
They repeatedly text using a different number each time.. blocking doesn't stop it
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Off hand, you could always report it to the Gov't of Canada.

They have a website & a link to report spam.

Have you tried blocking unknown numbers? 

https://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/00003.html

0 Likes
SCH1
Active Level 2
Galaxy A
Thanks for the info!
Yes, I was using Hiya for a while and it seemed to work but I suspect it was only working for telemarketers who needed to call because I had won a trip to some exotic location and free hotel stay .
Apparently I have won quite a few.
It's the text messages that are really persistent, though and I don't remember getting them until I graduated past the S8. I now have the S20 fe.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Have a look at this link as well.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00062352/

dsisy
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
Absolutley right . That is the problem I am having. And I can not block the text message because the "block" tab is inactive. I will have to get someone to show me how to take a screen shot so I can post what is happening.
0 Likes
SCH1
Active Level 2
Galaxy A
You could ask Bixby or the Google Assistant to take a screenshot for you
0 Likes