Original topic:

Bring back Smart View casting to Chromecast

(Topic created on: 03-07-2021 10:41 AM)
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Note
With OneUI 3.0 the ability to share the device screen with the Samsung Smart View function to Chromecast has been removed. Samsung says to share the screen through the Google Home app instead. Problem: 

Sharing the screen through Google Home does not let you use headphones. You have to listen to the audio output of the TV (or speakers connected to the TV).

Being able to share my screen with Smart View used to let me watch a video on my TV by casting to the Chromecast while listening to the audio through the headphones connected to my phone. This was a great feature which Google Cast doesn't natively support.

Also, this makes the "Video Assistant" feature of the Samsung Internet browser essentially useless, as it also uses Smart View to cast videos from the browser, except it no longer detects Chromecast devices.

Please bring this back. Reducing functionality like this is not a good look, and only serves to make Samsung less appealing with fewer differentiating features.
30 Comments
Galaxy Note
Seems to be is Google Android 11 problem. Not Samsung.

Translated from Korea forum. Korea Mod confirmed this.

First of all, we apologize for the inconvenience. Going to Android 11 OS, as Google’s privacy policy was reinforced, there was a problem with chromecast connection through Smart View. It was no longer searched. You can connect mirroring through the Google Home app in the Google Play store, so please use the function through the app. Once again, we apologize for any inconvenience caused. Thank you.

Source:
https://piunikaweb.com/2020/12/08/one-ui-3-0-removes-smart-view-support-for-chromecast-says-moderato...
0 Likes
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
I hesitate to put faith in any response like that, frankly. Samsung is infamous for shirking responsibility.
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Understood. But this time is OS privacy problem. If they can identify the problem, there should be able to release a fix in next update (I assume).
0 Likes
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
Can anyone actually point to the policy that prevents Smart View from working? Searching online leads back to this same moderator's "confirmation;" I see no supporting documentation.
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

Actually, Chromecast works on Android 11. 

Chromecast not working on Samsung phones, is uniquely a Samsung issue with One UI V3.0x

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s20-s20-plus-s20-ultra/1016685-no-chromecast-mirror...

Galaxy Note
Maybe they really want to get rid of smartview? 🤔
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

I suspect that Samsung wants to sell more Samsung TVs.

Maybe we'll be able to get EKG, BP & O² measurements from them too lol 😂 

keagan
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi nickthaskater,  Samsung is dedicated to ensuring that you have a great experience with your Galaxy device. As a result, we have forwarded your suggestions to the concerned team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Your feedback is truly appreciated and will help Samsung create a better experience for all Galaxy device users.

nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
Thank you, Keagan.
0 Likes