Original topic:

Just Curious...why doesn't my updates come from Samaung?

(Topic created on: 11-11-2020 09:08 PM)
OlytheGoalie
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy Note
Hey All,

Just curious why my Z Fold 2 that I purchased directly from Samsung not get its updates from Samsung...why do I instead have to wait for Telus to constantly drop the ball. They advertised the last update for November 3 and still nothing. Is there any way to change it to directly from Samsung?

Thanks
0 Likes
15 Comments
audiojfr
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
No Samsung pushes the updates to the carriers and then we get it from our carriers
Galaxy Note
audiojfr is correct. The update is from Samsung. Carriers just need to customise their needs and push out from carriers.
Halston
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi OlytheGoalie,

We have discussed this before in a few posts.

"Samsung is the one who makes updates. Updates are tested and get the required approval before being released by Samsung. This includes carrier approval. "Carriers do not release the updates, they just say "Ok, it works", "Nah this isn't working" or "You must change this to that", and then Samsung releases it if all approbation are obtained, including Google certification for Play Services".

Please follow the below link to the post:

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/Others/How-updates-are-released/m-p/581536#M10324

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/Galaxy-Note/Android-Update-and-carriers/td-p/3867007

I hope this will help you.

OlytheGoalie
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
thanks everyone!
Halston
Options
Galaxy Note

You are welcome @OlytheGoalie, and Thanks audiojfr and

0 Likes
oooOmitoOooo
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
the same applies to the US, correct?
0 Likes
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
because canadians don't get the "international" unlocked version. we canadians get the canadian version that is linked to the carrier the first time we put our sim card in and set up the phone. notice that if you go in settings, our model numbers always end with W. while the international or US version ends either in a B, U or U1. we canadians are always losing out. even if we bought it directly from the samsung website, it's never the international unlocked version. we're now stuck waiting on updates. 3k$ phone and 3 months behind... ridiculous
0 Likes
OlytheGoalie
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
it's there now buddy!
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
woohoo! finally! thank you!