Original topic:

My Files Network Storage setup

(Topic created on: 08-09-2020 08:18 PM)
Tallman
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi guys, today I would like to write up a post, which talking about how to connect My Files to a computer or to NAS (Network Attach Storage). 

The My Files network feature is good if you you need to transfer a small amount of files or quick transfer from or to your phone. But I don't recommend you run the video over network or play music over network. This My Files network connection is not design for video streaming and no buffering for music. It is just a basic file transfer, but it is useful when you are not in front of your computer or you don't want to plug the cable from phone to computer. I used to copy and paste pictures, music, ringtones, documents using My Files network connection.

Ok, Let's start. Couple things needed to get this setup.

1. You need to know your username and password for Microsoft Windows. If it is Windows 10, you may need to know that if you are logging in to Microsoft online account or local account.

2. Recommend you setup your NAS as a static IP address. Or you need to find out your NAS IP address. If you are using a desktop, you may need to set your IP address to static IP as well. If you are using DHCP, your IP address will different everytime you boot your computer.

3. If you have 3rd party firewall or internet security, make sure you have the port 445 open.

***This method not working on USB sharing. 

***Personal preference. I like to use static IP instead. Anyone wants to try using DNS Name instead, please try and let us know if DHCP with computer name works.

So, let's start from Windows side:

- Create a folder in your computer. I called the folder "Transfer"

N1.jpg

- Next, one right click on mouse while your cursor pointing to Transfer, a sub menu comes up, click Properties.

- In the Properties menu, click on "Sharing" Tab

N2.jpg

- On Sharing Tab, click on Share, you will see your username appear to be owner. Click Share button.

- Once shared, on the same screen, click Advanced Sharing

N3.jpg

- Put a check mark on "Share this folder"

N4.jpg

- Then, click Permissions button, highlight your name and grant yourself full permission. Then click Ok to exit. Ok again and click Close.

N5.jpg

Now, the setup on Computer side has done. Let's now look at the setup from Galaxy phone. First of all, open My Files app. Click on Network Storage. Click the + sign on top right corner.

Click Network drive (SMB) for add network storage

20200809_162743.jpg

- Now click Add Manually

20200809_162818.jpg

- Now, you need to fill up the information:

Address: input 192.168.nnn.nnn whatever number you are using on desktop or you have set a static IP on your NAS

Port: 445

Username: I am using Microsoft Online account, so put the Microsoft Online account username

Password: Again, put Microsoft Online account password

Display name: Put any name that meaningful to you for this network connection. I put my computer name so that I know is my computer connection

Finally, click Add button

20200809_163130.jpg

- After you click Add button, if everything input correctly, you should see the computer name with IP address or NAS name with IP address

Screenshot_20200809-170748_My Files.jpg

That's it and you should able to access your shared folder on your desktop computer or NAS. And the shared folder will show after you click on to the computer name or NAS name. For me, the folder Transfer appeared after I clicked on my computer name. For the NAS setup, I am not going to talk about in here as different NAS have their management software to do folder sharing. You need to find out how to share folder from NAS. But same idea on setup.

Hope this guide help some users who want to setup this simple networking feature in My Files app.

28 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Tip: Create a secondary account if you have other users that might want to access the shared folders! Never share your primary PC login, especially if it's a Microsoft account!
Kinsley
Options
Galaxy Note

Thank you 

Spuzzer
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Note
I am able to connect to the network storage on my windows PC with my wifi network however I can't seem to connect when I go off wifi and onto mobile network. I set the network storage settings to allow for data over mobile network but it still won't connect. isn't the address, username and passwords going to be the same?
0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Allow for data over mobile network is for Cloud storage or NAS. You need to configure router in order to access the folder. However, this is not secure because you need to open port 445 on WAN. I am not recommend. Maybe setup a VPN connection between your router and phone, then you can access the shared folder in this way.
Spuzzer
Beginner Level 4
Galaxy Note
okay, thanks for the quick response. will look into that
0 Likes
asanxa
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Note

This helps me a lot. Thank you.

Aliomrani84
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

Thank you Tallman

0 Likes
inoid
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

I need help with the app my files, when I try to add smb network drive, it does not find, I tried manual and does not accept. (my external hd is connected to a router. i can use it on x-plorer and es-file explorer) it just doesn't work on the samsung app. sorry english, i speak portuguese.

0 Likes
Galaxy Note
As I remembered it doesn't work if external drive plugged in to router. This app still has a lot to improve.
0 Likes