Original topic:

My Files Network Storage setup

(Topic created on: 08-09-2020 04:11 PM)
Tallman
Options
Galaxy Note

Hi guys, today I would like to write up a post, which talking about how to connect My Files to a computer or to NAS (Network Attach Storage). 

The My Files network feature is good if you you need to transfer a small amount of files or quick transfer from or to your phone. But I don't recommend you run the video over network or play music over network. This My Files network connection is not design for video streaming and no buffering for music. It is just a basic file transfer, but it is useful when you are not in front of your computer or you don't want to plug the cable from phone to computer. I used to copy and paste pictures, music, ringtones, documents using My Files network connection.

Ok, Let's start. Couple things needed to get this setup.

1. You need to know your username and password for Microsoft Windows. If it is Windows 10, you may need to know that if you are logging in to Microsoft online account or local account.

2. Recommend you setup your NAS as a static IP address. Or you need to find out your NAS IP address. If you are using a desktop, you may need to set your IP address to static IP as well. If you are using DHCP, your IP address will different everytime you boot your computer.

3. If you have 3rd party firewall or internet security, make sure you have the port 445 open.

***This method not working on USB sharing. 

***Personal preference. I like to use static IP instead. Anyone wants to try using DNS Name instead, please try and let us know if DHCP with computer name works.

So, let's start from Windows side:

- Create a folder in your computer. I called the folder "Transfer"

N1.jpg

- Next, one right click on mouse while your cursor pointing to Transfer, a sub menu comes up, click Properties.

- In the Properties menu, click on "Sharing" Tab

N2.jpg

- On Sharing Tab, click on Share, you will see your username appear to be owner. Click Share button.

- Once shared, on the same screen, click Advanced Sharing

N3.jpg

- Put a check mark on "Share this folder"

N4.jpg

- Then, click Permissions button, highlight your name and grant yourself full permission. Then click Ok to exit. Ok again and click Close.

N5.jpg

Now, the setup on Computer side has done. Let's now look at the setup from Galaxy phone. First of all, open My Files app. Click on Network Storage. Click the + sign on top right corner.

Click Network drive (SMB) for add network storage

20200809_162743.jpg

- Now click Add Manually

20200809_162818.jpg

- Now, you need to fill up the information:

Address: input 192.168.nnn.nnn whatever number you are using on desktop or you have set a static IP on your NAS

Port: 445

Username: I am using Microsoft Online account, so put the Microsoft Online account username

Password: Again, put Microsoft Online account password

Display name: Put any name that meaningful to you for this network connection. I put my computer name so that I know is my computer connection

Finally, click Add button

20200809_163130.jpg

- After you click Add button, if everything input correctly, you should see the computer name with IP address or NAS name with IP address

Screenshot_20200809-170748_My Files.jpg

That's it and you should able to access your shared folder on your desktop computer or NAS. And the shared folder will show after you click on to the computer name or NAS name. For me, the folder Transfer appeared after I clicked on my computer name. For the NAS setup, I am not going to talk about in here as different NAS have their management software to do folder sharing. You need to find out how to share folder from NAS. But same idea on setup.

Hope this guide help some users who want to setup this simple networking feature in My Files app.

Moxxy
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note
I'm having trouble with username and password. Pls help
0 Likes
lksnARD
Active Level 3
Galaxy Note

same here 😞

0 Likes
ChrisPovey
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

I have no problems connecting to my Synology NAS drive with my S21+. My issue is when I close the Myfiles app add open it again it forgets it was connected. I have to add it again & login again.

Shouldn't it remember the details etc?

0 Likes
Galaxy Note
It does remembered the path. My Files app does remembered my Synology network drive path.
0 Likes
ChrisPovey
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

Hmm, doesn't on my S21. As soon as I close the app and open it again. I see the Add network storage button when I hit the Network Storage button. Not my NAS. ☹

0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Are you adding it manually?
0 Likes
ChrisPovey
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

Tried both. It is just for convenience really. As I have the Synology DS File app installed which works perfectly. I wanted the My Files app to move photos up to my own NAS Drive so to not clog up the phone's storage space.

I can upload files with DS File anyway.

Basically, from Tallman's instructions above I don't get the last page on my S21+. After hitting the Add button I see the contents of my NAS drive. If I close the App and re-open it I have to start Tallman's instructions again from the My File App bit.

Also I think the App has changed slight since Tallman's instructions as I see this page:

Screenshot_20210731-110427_My Files.jpg

0 Likes
Galaxy Note
Honestly, if you have DS File app, you do not need this My Files app. DS File app is better. This My Files app is for users that needs to copy some files from phone to network storage.

Also, my instruction was created when I was using Note10+. It could be outdated cause I don't have S21+.
0 Likes
bmartin3k
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

My wife's s21 ultra is doing the same thing.

I can add our NAS and it pulls up the folders but if I go back to just the network storage nothing is there. My S20+ works fine. The only difference in the two is the versions, the one that is working is 12.2.03.361 and the one that isn't is 13.0.00.434. However, the Network Storage Manager is the same at 12.1.00.211.

0 Likes
Krishk
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy Note

Hi Tallman, thanks for posting detailed steps. This would be a very convenient solution for people looking to use their local storage. Unfortunately, I am unable to connect to my TrueNAS SMB shares. No matter what configurations I change, I keep getting - "Can't connect. The server didn't respond". I used 445 port and server ip address... 192.**bleep**.**bleep**.**bleep** as well as 192.**bleep**.**bleep**.**bleep**/sharename Is there any workaround? Appreciate your comments. FYI, those SMB shares have been successfully mapped on a Windows system. 

0 Likes