Original topic:

OneUI 3 N20U upgrade = missing music and a huge disaster

(Topic created on: 01-05-2021 01:40 AM)
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Options
Galaxy Note
The OneUI 3 upgrade completely erased all my music files! The storage usage on both my internal storage and my MicroSD is several GBs lower than prior to the update, corresponding to the size of my music library. Pathetic. I've checked everywhere on my phone, they're not hidden somewhere. I had a lot of storage available for the update to occur without needing to silently overwrite such data. For an update that was ready exactly one month and two days ago, it's really shameful.
Plus it seems that the option in Developer Settings to change the accent and adaptive icon shape is gone. If you changed those, you're stuck with them now. Great job Samsung.
Finally, why in the world did you remove my lock screen style?!? What was the absurd reason behind this major oversight???? It's barely taking any space on the device and it was looking great. Less is not more! Down to five styles available, which is really just 3 actual styles. If I didn't want choice, I'd have bought an iPhone. At least they don't serve ads in their basic apps.
To top it off, QuickStar no longer offers any customization to the colours and blur! Stop removing features!.
And now, instead of conveniently choosing between Ultra Power Saving Mode and regular power saving mode, nooooo, you have to go under a new menu that isn't evident at all!
Those things really make me regret my Note9. At least it would still have security patches without being inflicted this level of incompetence.
19 Comments
itsGill
Active Level 6
Galaxy Note
Hey, all my music files are saved.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
So helpful 😒
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
sounds to me that one U.i 3 was a rush job for samsung to get out. it's a shame really because unlike iPhones it will take a while for any fixes to come out when there are problems with it.
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
There is a lot to enjoy in OneUI 3, sadly there is also a lot to mourn about as well. There are a lot more of these issues and oversights that become apparent as I get to use this new version. The gallery, for example, is now so inconvenient to use. The last good version of S Music is dead too (I had PowerAmp ready and paid for though so not all is lost, still I'll dearly miss it) and more that I won't list because I should go get some sleep. One can only hope a small subset of these are fixed with OneUI 3.1, otherwise we'll wait months for a fix... if ever!
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
well other then that, how do you find your note20 ultra now that you have had it for a while now?. would you recommend it and is it worth the money?. because I have an S9+ that I'm considering upgrading at somepoint soon. the S21's according to rumors are looking to be an underwhelming disaster this year. samsung may as well call them an A series plus. anyway it would be great if you could let me know your thoughts.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
I really like it, but worth the money? Maybe not at 1800$, which I would never have paid for it. It's definitely not a 1800$ phone but remains a great, really great phone. It was the single most premium-feeling rectangle (with actual corners, the dream!) I've held so far. Didn't try the Z Fold 2 haha.
I strongly doubt Samsung Canada would dare go beyond 1.8k for the S21U, seeing as they put the S20 series on sale rather quickly and pretty often, so it could be something to look at. You only have a few days to wait now.
The real question is: what else could you get for your money? As I understand, you're looking for a premium device, not a glorified midranger. In that case, the Note10+ would be a killer alternative. Having used it, it was just as premium as the N20U. I only switched because I had a great deal. You might also want to explore beyond Samsung, even if there's no other OEM that can quite match their hardware/software combo (I tried LG [Velvet], I hate LG UX and the hardware design could be massively improved, Motorola has poor software support, Google is a train wreck...)
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
thanks for the feed back. I probably would go for a note 10+ at this point. maybe N20U if it goes on sale for a good price again.
0 Likes
Montreal1
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note

«sounds to me that one U.i 3 was a rush job for samsung to get out.» : Normal when people never stop asking for the updates. Samsung's response is «you want the update quickly, here it is!» , It doesn't matter if there are bugs.

0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
ya thats what I'm kinda thinking also.