Original topic:

prepaid card for note 8

(Topic created on: 02-06-2023 04:55 PM)
oooOmitoOooo
Active Level 10
Options
Galaxy Note
I have this old yet hardworking note 8 without a SIM and doing wifi only.

in dollar stores I've seen those prepaid cards.

would it load on my note 8?
is the SIM included? 
what area code does it belong to? 
416, 905, 666?

thanks!

0 Likes
12 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

No idea if the SIM is included, but you should be able to get the device unlocked for free (if it is still Locked to a Canadian Carrier), since December 2017 all Canadian Carriers are unlocked.

Area Code? Guess it depends on the Dollar store SIM. 

oooOmitoOooo
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
lucky mobile is the name and the note 8 is compatible.

available at walmart and dollarama
0 Likes
oooOmitoOooo
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
My note 8 was from freedom mobile and unlocked long time ago.

with no SIM and using wifi only it was still receiving updates until the last one in december 2020
0 Likes
youandi06
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Are you talking about a prepaid card like a long distance card?? Or are you talking about a prepaid card like a prepaid SIM card with prepaid service?? As long as your note 8 is unlocked and the SIM card that you have inside is a nano SIM. Then the Note 8 will work completely fine, and it will accept that. So I'm a little bit confused. The area code of the phone number attached to the SIM card will be the area code that you chose. The area code for the area for which you registered the phone service in. Sorry I just seen your other comment. As long as your phone is unlocked then yes Lucky will work with your Note 8 fine. I used to work climbing cellular towers. So networks is my thing. But I do know what you're talking about. In the old days wind mobile used to use a special band call AWS. And only phones with that would work. But the Note 8 that you have will work with any of the SIM cards that you put in it so long as it is unlocked. The phone must be unlocked. When you put your SIM card in the phone will sense what bands to use. And then the Note 8 will shut down and restart. And when it reboots you should have network connectivity. The Note 8 works with AWS bands and regular GSM bands. So you should be okay
oooOmitoOooo
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
prepaid sim...

my note 8 has no SIM and it's unlocked.

now you got me worried with the shutdown and restart procedure you mentioned.....

will it reset it too? Can't lose apps/data
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note

I'm not sure if @youandi06 was talking about a simple Reboot after inserting the SIM from a new / different Carrier than your Note had previously, or if they are thinking that with a new device, when you insert the SIM for the very first time, the newer devices automatically force a Factory Reset.

I can't remember which device it was, but I remember setting up a new device on WiFi, and then inserted the New SIM. Automatic Factory Reset on that device. 

BUT, I don't think that a device that was previously activated with a SIM will force a Factory Reset.. If that was the case, it would be a real pain for people who travel, and insert a local SIM while they are in a different country etc. 

You should still backup your Note, just in case... but I think that you should be fine. 

youandi06
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Yeah I was talking about a simple reboot. When you put in a new SIM card the phone will reboot to configure itself for that network. It will not delete anything all it is doing is restarting
youandi06
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
The phone will just restart it will not delete anything. It will reconfigure itself for the SIM card that you insert
btrthnvr
Active Level 8
Galaxy Note
They only listed iPhone and Google Pixel phones.

Edit: it also says Android 10 and above. Here's the link: https://myaccount.luckymobile.ca/PrepaidActivationLogin?EXT=LUCKY_PDL_Google_kwid=p64770162440&gclid... Screenshot_20230207_203014_Chrome.jpg