Original topic:

Edge Screen Cracks

(Topic created on: 03-15-2021 04:20 PM)
KrisSam
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
I am so frustrated with the edge screen as it is so ridiculously prone to cracking!! I currently have 4 phones from the S8 to S10 with cracked screens and 2 of them are no longer functional. It wouldn't be so painful if the screens weren't also over $300 to replace! Within my family of 4 we have 11 products from TV, phones, tablets, watches, and ear buds. 

My most recent S10 just developed a Crack along the edge and I didn't even hit/drop it hard enough to check for damage. I just noticed it this morning. Anyone else frustrated with this? I'm not an apple fan but I'm honestly debating switching brands as I don't even use the edge features. Samsung needs to either improve the lifespan of their screens and products or get rid of the edge to start. 
18 Comments
keagan
Options
Galaxy S

Hi KrisSam, All Samsung smartphones undergo rigorous internal inspection test, and are always being controlled under Samsung’s high level of quality standards internally. I suggest you to get the device serviced by an authorized technician.

0 Likes
KrisSam
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I'm not sure if you read my whole post but part of my point is that the screen replacement is over $300 last time I checked and a fraction of that cost for an iPhone or other non curved screen. The protectors don't protect the edges of the screen as they are functional. I think on my S6(?) I could choose no edge or edge for more money. I chose no edge and never cracked the screen.
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Hi 

do you use any kind of device's protector ? 

You say : I didn't even hit/drop it hard enough    Edge screen is the most sensible place for any kind of drop...Can you take a picture of your device ? 

0 Likes
KrisSam
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Yes I use a hard case and screen protector on all my phones.

What I mean to say is I do drop my phone sometimes or bang it on a table or something and while cringing I check for damages. Up until this point there was only the tiniest Crack on the edge once. Now it is large enough to be annoying but if I would have replaced each of these screens I may as well just buy a new phone. I'm sick of throw away tech. It's bad for the environment and my pocket book.

I've attached a photo of my broken Samsung collection. I'll update with this phone when my husband gets home for his camera

20210315_174834_11551.jpg

0 Likes
GG2
Expert Level 3
Galaxy S
Not to defend Samsung and yes edge screens are more fragile i guess but your phones seem like they took a good beating.
Galaxy S
I agree. It looks like the phones got "abused" badly. Either way, with most recent flagships like the S20 FE or S21 and S21+ or Note 20, they now have flat screens if you would prefer those.
KrisSam
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I use it everyday and carry it with me. That I lead an active lifestyle shouldn't be a fault.

And I'm glad to hear they have the flat option because my S6 screen was perfect after more than 2 years use.

Doesn't help me at the moment though.
0 Likes
Galaxy S
I also lead an active lifestyle and I have had my Note8 since it was released in September 2017. I may have dropped it a few times, but I made sure to always try to keep my phone as safe as possible. No scratches or cracks or anything on my screen. I use a magnetic case that has a glass protector on it and it protects my phone well as the sides are from metal. I have changed a few of them as the glass did crack but that was as soon as it happened and my phone works and still looks brand new.
0 Likes
KrisSam
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I can see what you're saying and maybe the note is sturdier. I never get scratches either just cracks on the edge because any case that doesn't make my phone a tank is designed to allow access to the edge features which also makes a handy point of impact.

3 of the 4 phones screens still worked until the end of their lifespan but im just saying either make them easier/cheaper to repair or stronger. If you have had to also replace multiple screens I still think it is a design issue.