Original topic:

Never Again Samsung- 5g is a joke

(Topic created on: 05-26-2024 08:13 PM)
KapilVirk
Active Level 2
Options
Galaxy S
I recently travelled to Canada and have stayed mostly in Edmonton and Calagary thus far but i am extremely disppointed at being told as my devices are Australian devices (two S23 Ultra) it may not be able to get a 5g network in Canada. I just want to confirm that i do have a 5g enabled plan and the same SIMs in a pixel and Iphone (both purchased in Australia) works just fine with no issues whatsoever.

I contacted the Canadian Technical Support experts initially and they referred me to Mobile Klinik Edmonton. Mobile Klinik told me that Samsung locks there devices to country these days and I will therefore need to ask Samsung to update the phones software at their end.

I contacted Samsung Canada again only to be told that they will not assist as the phones purchased outside Canada and when i contacted the Australian Samsung I was told that no help for you as you are outside Australia? 

Seriously Samsung? Are you expecting your customers not to travel or puchase a new device each time customers travel to new country?

I have used Samsung note 5, note 9, note 10, two samsung galaxy 6 watches (currently in use) and have travelled to different countries with no issues until now.

Samsung please do not try and hide behind 5g bandwith requirements in different countries as noted above the pixels and iphones do not have that issue it is only your Esteemed Company which is blocking 5g on purpose.

I have already requested Samsung Australia to lodge an official complaint, I will be escalting the matter to ACCC as well.

I spent good amounts on purchaing two S23 Ultras (Supposed Flagships) so to end this post i would like to make a point that while i have made plans to switch for my ease, I am however not goi g to leave Samsung that easy even if it means for me to hire a lawyer, going to current affairs, making noise on social media, stopping anyone and everyone i can from buying your products etc. 

19 Comments
KapilVirk
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
Update: Samsung through twitter again advised that as I am outside Aus therefore no help and once in Aus again then contact Samsung( Missed the whole point of my complaint). Anyone reading this post learn from my example, if you have plan for overseas travel then stay away from Samsung as they will not provide any support in case anything goes wrong.
0 Likes
KapilVirk
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
Update: Lodged it with ACCC ( Australian Competition and Consumer Commission) accc-report:708885
SgtStubby
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
I had a 5G plan with Telus for a month and it was actually worse speed than my old LTE+ 4G plan. Koodo no longer offers 5G plans because it's a scam.
Your upset over nothing.
The speeds I get on 4G are great and do everything I need.
KapilVirk
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
The issue is that the same Rogers SIM work fine with 5g network on other phones. There ia huge difference of speeds I am getting in my devices. Plus the Mobile Klinik in Edmonton and Samsung Tech Support in Canada have already acknowledged that the issue is known and that they are one who have made the phones this way. Mine for now is a cautionary tale for other at the moment but I have lodged my complaint with ACCC and NSW Fair Trading.
0 Likes
RobertZ
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
Your phone supports 3 out of the 4 bands Rogers uses for 5G, so 5G should work wherever their towers have antennas with support for those bands.

I think someone recently had a similar issue and changed their CSC to get 5G working on Rogers. But it's not the proper solution as you have pointed out.

Here's a link to the other thread on this. It was just last week.

https://r1.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s/not-getting-5g-in-canada/td-p/27090917?src=ShareByUserC...
Day_Walker
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
You're assuming Rogers supports 4 bands in every province on every tower. Does rogers have confirmation of ALL towers for 5G across the entire country? I recall working there back when they acquired Fido for GSM/GPRS/Edge and not all towers in the same city (TDot) goy full support for months.

Rogers has always used Ericsson towers curious if data roaming on 5G isn't part of the roaming agreement.
0 Likes
RobertZ
Active Level 9
Galaxy S
I'm not assuming anything. I stated: "so 5G should work wherever their towers have antennas with support for those bands". Pretty basic English.
0 Likes
Day_Walker
Active Level 8
Galaxy S
Basic English. The word should means it should, not that it IS (in other words presuming or assuming with a bit more information)

Full specs of all models of SGS 23 ultra not another conversation.
https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s23_ultra-12024.php

Rogers Coverage Map:
Rogers.com/mobility/network-coverage-map

International S23Ultra supports Rogers N66 & N71 bands not "should" irrefutable.

So I suspect it's not the Rogers network as Rogers sold the S23 Ultra directly on contract.

I suspect it's the SIM card the roaming plan or something with the host carriers billing soc's not transfered over to the Rogers Roaming GGSN or similar base stations affecting 5G. Maybe if unlocked and if you have some1 with an active Rogers 5G plan ans account and Sim do a swap. If that works then you've completely isolated roaming and your carrier. 1716947147432.jpg
KapilVirk
Active Level 2
Galaxy S
I have tried the swaps with my two Rogers SIM and two seperate Rogers SIM with 5g plans on all of them and still no 5g connectivity.