Original topic:

S23 Ultra S Pen Smells of Burnt Battery

(Topic created on: 06-27-2023 10:01 AM)
NeoIIGeo
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
I have two S23 Ultras and the S Pen smells of burnt or over charged battery. No leaks so far but everytime i pull it out, it stinks.
Does anyone else have this problem?
I took it to the Samsung authorized dealer as per Samsung tech support's recommendation. The repair shop is telling me that the S Pen is not a part of the cell phone repair and cannot do anything about it. No report can be done as well.
21 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I'd suggest that you review Samsung's Warranty information for the S23 and it's Spen. Just to verify what is, and is not covered.

That would be where I would start. 

0 Likes
NeoIIGeo
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Yes, I've done that. This would be covered under warranty and I'm not that concerned about getting a replacement unit. I wanted to find out if others are having the same issue since both of my S23 Ultras are having the same issue.
A big FYI, going through the tech support, you will need a copy of bill of sale for they cannot access the system to look at the order ID if you had ordered online.
0 Likes
Members_hWWtf1t
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

HAHAHAHAHAHA. It's the smell of the electronics inside hahaha you joke. Really. 

0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Mine smells more like a plastic smell than a burnt smell. But it's a smell that if you ask others they may say it smells burnt.
0 Likes
pedwards62
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
Hello, you are right mine pen smells like a burnt as well.
I hope it doesn't cause a fire like the old Note phone did
BDTech
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
It's normal.
0 Likes
NeoIIGeo
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
How would this be normal? Could you please elaborate?
0 Likes
BDTech
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Because it's charging the capacitor.

Disable air actions and the smell will go away.
0 Likes
NeoIIGeo
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thank you for the tip. Wouldn't this be a defect then? I would assume all things were tested before the release and charging the capacitor wouldn't be impacted by air command as far as I understand the electronics. Also, disabling the air command defeats one of the purposes of the design around S Pen. It's like buying a car and telling me not to use the wipers because it will scratch the windshield.