Original topic:

What is the Maximum Size for a USB Drive on a Galaxy S20

(Topic created on: 10-21-2021 01:40 PM)
Samsung_Jack
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

I am trying to plug a 128Mb exFAT USB Drive into the USB-C port of the Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G phone and it doesn't seem to recognize it. A 64Gb exFAT drive seems to work fine. The 128Mb exFAT drive works fine when plugged into a PC or other device but not the phone. The phone shows a silent notification: "Charging connected device via USB". If I click on the message it shows "USB controlled by": Connected device and will not allow me to select "This device" from the option buttons. I tried another 128Mb drive and it had the same results. Is the drive too big?

0 Likes
13 Comments
Samsung_Jack
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I don't have a way to format it as FAT32. And, like I said, my phone does read a 64Gb exFAT drive just fine. I do know that the 128Gb drive is newer technology and is much faster than the 64Gb drive. There must be something about my phone that it doesn't work with the faster 128Mb drive. I also just tried the drive on an S9 phone and it worked on it too. Is there a more comprehensive USB diagnostic program than the one on Members?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Not that I can think of. 

At this point I think that you have two options. 

• Factory Reset your phone AFTER you backed up with Smart Switch. 

If that doesn't work. 

• Visit a Samsung Service center. 
GSam
Active Level 5
Galaxy S
Not sure what causes it in your phone but my Note 20 5G Ultra has not issue to access (format, read & write) the 128G Sandisk Ultra micro SD through USB reader adapter.
0 Likes
Samsung_Jack
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S
I have a 128G Micro SD and USB reader adapter and it works on a S9 and a regular S20 but not on my S20 Ultra. When a swap in a slow rated 64Gb Micro SD card it then works on my phone. It's strange that it works on slower drives but not on an A2 rated Micro SD.
0 Likes