Original topic:

Why ask for Permission?

(Topic created on: 07-07-2021 10:07 AM)
Synfull
Active Level 3
Options
Galaxy S
Hi, why do all the apps ask for Permission to access our personal info when if we want to use that particular app we don't have a choice. There really is no choice. I can't say no and still use the application. 
7 Comments
Georgine
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, You can change the permissions that apps can access in the main Settings app on your device at any time. Keep in mind turning off permissions may cause apps on your device to lose functionality.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

There's a number of Samsung's System apps where you can NOT change the permissions. I understand why, but it's not helpful to give the impression that you can change all the permissions. 

Synfull
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
If you say no then you can't have the app.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

On apps where you can change permissions, just be aware of how removing permissions may affect the functionality of the app. ie: if you deny body sensor permissions for Samsung Health, you probably won't get measurements for your activities.

Denying access to your contacts won't affect all apps, but it obviously would affect an app's ability to use Google Assistant to call someone on your contacts list.

Location is obviously needed for Maps to get your location in order to give you directions.

A weather app does NOT need access to your contacts.

You get the idea? 

Synfull
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
I think it's a bit of a minefield Red. You dog you! 😀
0 Likes
Synfull
Active Level 3
Galaxy S
It sounds like you're saying change permissions at your own risk so just don't do it.
Alain47
Active Level 7
Galaxy S
Exactly
0 Likes