Original topic:

Buyer Beware - Do NOT fall for the "Trade In" Scam run by Assurant

(Topic created on: 07-28-2023 05:08 PM)
KO-CANADA
Active Level 1
Options
Promotions

A Facebook ad popped up today stating a "Guaranteed" trade in value for your current device towards a Flip 5 or Fold 5. This is false, all Trade Ins are subject to an "assessment" by Samsung's service provider Assurant so I thought I'd have a look.

This is an excerpt from the chat with Samsung;

Yes, But tarde in value will be based on your device condition.

‎11:14 AM

If you trade in any Galaxy Z Flip 5G series, Z flip3 series and Z flip4 series with the purchase of Galaxy Z Flip 5 or Z fold 5, then you will get a guaranteed trade in bonus of $700.00

‎11:19 AM

Notice the word "guaranteed" and obvious contradiction?

Assurant's business practices are quite simply fraudulent. I traded in an immaculate Note 20 towards a Flip 4. I then received an email that my trade in was devalued by $250.00, with Assurant claiming screen burn in damage. I had taken the precaution of photographing the Note 20 in it's entirety prior to shipping, there was no damage of any kind. I requested photographs of said damage and was provided one (1) blurry photograph of a phone screen in which no damage was visible, nor confirmation that it was even my device. I requested the device be returned to me which was refused. I requested to cancel the purchase and trade in which was refused. I had a deadline to accept the revised "offer" or be charged full retail for the Flip 4, again with the refusal to return my my Note 20. 

I have been entrenched in the Samsung eco system for some time, but as devices, computers TVs and even applainces require replacement, I've been moving away from Samsung due to this one extremely negative experience, which also wasted a significant amount of my time. Once you agree to the "Terms & Conditions" you have absolutely no recourse as a consumer and no support from Samsung.

I have screenshots of the interactions of my original dispute, as well as todays chat and the ad stating "Guaranteed" trade in value.

BUYER BEWARE!

12 Comments
Promotions
Hi good day!!.. last S23 ultra launch i did this kind of offer.. i think that was March to April.. it says Guaranteed offer of $800 if you trade in your Galaxy Note 20 ultra if you will buy the S23 Ultra..

Assurant came with their promise.. i didn't have any hassle on the trade ins.. i carefully follow their trade in instructions and answer their online tradein questions...

I read the fine print it says "Any Conditions" of your Note 20 ultra to S 23 ultra...

I got my S23 ultra 512gb for $900+ under perkoplis discount ...

Happy that i did that coz i know it is a good deal...
KO-CANADA
Active Level 1
Promotions
You had a very different experience than me for sure.
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Promotions
You need to read the fine prints.

The guaranteed trade in value is only based on a Z series device.

If you trade in any other series device, it'll have a promo price that is currently going + the price value of your device.

I do agree with all the stories that I've been reading that Assurant has not been keeping the initial value of the trade in device and they've been coming up with issues that most, if not all users, don't see. But if read carefully, I think it'll be fine.

Normally, their trade in "guaranteed price" is based on the trade ins of the same series.
-Tony
Options
Promotions

Hi,

Receive a combined trade-in promotional credit and trade-in value of up to $900, for your eligible Galaxy Z Flip or Fold Series smartphone. $900 credit is based on completing the trade-in of an eligible Galaxy Z Flip or Fold Series device and purchasing a Galaxy Z Fold5 device. $700 credit is based on completing the trade-in of an eligible Galaxy Z Flip or Fold Series device and purchasing a Galaxy Z Flip5 device.
The “Eligible Trade-In Product” means any Samsung Galaxy Z Flip or Fold Series smartphone that is listed on the List of Eligible Trade-In Devices below and in any condition provided that it: (i) is verifiable in accordance with its serial/IMEI number, (ii) was purchased in Canada; (iii) has a minimum qualifying trade-in value of $0 as determined by the Service Provider’s device valuation software; (iv) is owned by the customer; (v) the IMEI or Serial Number of the device can be validated and has not been removed, altered or defaced; and (vi) the device malfunction or damage, if any, is not due to (A) improper or intentional installation or removal of any parts or components, or (B) improper or intentional equipment modification.

Please refer below link and check terms and conditions of the offer
https://www.samsung.com/ca/offer/z-series-trade-in/

KO-CANADA
Active Level 1
Promotions
Yes, thank you for pointing out everything I already know. Perhaps you should re read the post I made. Pretty insulting but thanks Tony.
-ACon-
Active Level 6
Promotions
if you have photographs contact samsung support and if they are not ready to help you then file complaint with Better Business Bureau.
KO-CANADA
Active Level 1
Promotions
Yep I sent my photos, total waste of time, and they don't care about BBB complaints. Like I said, posted this as a buyer beware.
-ACon-
Active Level 6
Promotions
but complaint to BBB even if they don't care. BBB will check with assurant. it will take time but worth trying. I have read on reddit that few got their money back after BBB complaint.
SgtStubby
Active Level 8
Promotions
I agree Assurant are crooks. I traded a mint Note 10 plus and after 30 days in there possession they devalued it by 100 dollars. I was livid and as stated they provided no proof and it was too late now to get my device back and stop the deal without getting Visa involved. A samsung rep offered me additional $50 but I ended up having to fight for that too. It was a nightmare dealing with Assurant and that's who does Samsungs warranty which is very scary