Original topic:

Tab S9 FE randomly restarts and don't wake up.

(Topic created on: 11-07-2023 02:59 PM)
Senri
Active Level 3
Options
Tablets
Hi, just got this tablet maybe 2 weeks ago. Its never been dropped, was in a full protection case the entire time. 

What I've noticed: 
1. It restarts randomly while at sleep, I know this because I get prompted for my pattern before I can use fingerprint. I know there is a feature to restart automatically to free resources, but thats off.

2. It randomly won't wake up from sleep. After it put itself to sleep, sometimes it won't wake up. 

What was tried:
- Tapping the screen as I normally do.
- Tapping the power button for FP unlock.
‐ Pressing the power button.
- Holding the power button for more than 40 seconds. 

What works:
- Holding the power button and volume button. This causes the tablet to wake up and restart. 

Do I have a defective tablet here? Maybe some power issue? Does Samsung do exchanges? I traded in my old tablet so a full return might not be ideal.

Thanks!

16 Comments
Ray1
Expert Level 2
Tablets

Your problem with wake up is a little strange but since you have found a way to do it is not really a problem.

I wake up my S9 Ultra by either using my connected bluetooth mouse or bluetooth external keyboard.

As for having to enter your pin when the device is locked is pretty normal on a tablet or phone.

To get around this go to Settings. Lock Screen, Smart lock and set up a trusted device to keep your tablet unlocked such as a smart watch or maybe your phone

Senri
Active Level 3
Tablets
Hi, the FE has fingerprint on the power button. The way I understand it , if I get prompted for my pattern before I am able to use FP, that usually means that the tablet has restarted. In addition to the waking issue, I feel that the tablet might have electrical issues that might get worst over time. That's why I'm asking around if anyone else is experiencing something similar to maybe see if the issue is software or hardware.
0 Likes
Ray1
Expert Level 2
Tablets

At the moment my tablet is asking for a pin everytime I wake it and I know it hasn't restarted but I just haven't bothered to redo the settings so it is doing the same as yours.

I think you are thinking too hard about this being a problem with your device as I don't think it is

Senri
Active Level 3
Tablets
Could be. I could live with the possible restart issue. But needing the power and volume button combo to force restart to wake the tablet is a bit pushing it. And may be indicative of some issue.

I believe your s9 Ultra has under display fingerprint, maybe face unlock. If these biometrics have not been set up, pin will be asked everytime.
0 Likes
Ray1
Expert Level 2
Tablets

Biometrics are set up and were working properly but something changed in my settings and I just haven't bothered looking at moment. It is not a big deal to me.

You are right that I have under screen fingerprint sensor

At the moment it is asking for pin every time it shuts the screen off so I know it hasn't restarted so that shoots the theory of asking for a pin only when it has restarted.

I am pretty positive you don't have a restarting problem from what I see on my device.

I have read all the horror stories of people trying to deal with Samsung when they have a problem with their devices or shipping and can guarantee you don't want to put yourself through this unless you have a definite problem

I have been lucky and have never had a problem with any of my devices to have to deal with their terrible service

They sell great devices but service is bad

Ray1
Expert Level 2
Tablets
Just to make sure I wasn't wrong about my theory I went looking for my problem and it was as simple as my tablet had decided my bluetooth mouse that I was using for Smart Lock keeping my device unlocked wasn't acceptable any more so I added another device and everything works as expected again keeping my device unlocked and not needing the pin. Also checked and fingerprints and everything is still good there in bimetrics
0 Likes
jinu33
Beginner Level 3
Tablets

I got the same tablet few days ago, and the same problem is happening to me, it randomly turns off, in the middle of exam, please can you tell me how did you solve the issue. Thank you

0 Likes