Original topic:

Confusion

(Topic created on: 12-30-2020 07:42 PM)
hii1994
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy A
I decided to get a phone through a "lease-to-own" company, and it turns out the phone they got me isn't from North America. It's from somewhere in South america. Is there anyone who would help me figure out where it's from? The company I went through is being shady and won't tell me. 

I'm canceling my plan with them asap. I just would like to know if my phones refurbished. Cause if it is, there's a chance I could get back all the money I put down in monthly payments so far.

My phone isn't even compatible with Samsung Pay

17 Comments
Galaxy A
Good idea. They may be able to assist you further. From the screen shot the manufacturer looks like it is from either Mexico or Spain. Whenever I have bought or upgraded to a new phone, I always made sure to go to a retail store and not purchase any phone from the internet.
0 Likes
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy A
When you are in "about phone" just scroll down to see "baseband version" and "system version" those two items will tell you exactly where phone came from as long as it's still stock and hasn't been modified. System version should have abbreviation of country in it like LA for Latin America, CA for Canada, EU for Europe etc. Baseband relates to wireless operator who sold it originally, mine came from Canadian operator Telus so it has "Telus" in the baseband name. Hope this helps you out.
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy A
"service provider SW ver." could help too
0 Likes
hii1994
Active Level 1
Galaxy A

20201231_220009_1384.jpg

0 Likes
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy A
judging from the "TPA" in your SW version, the phone is from Panama. You might be able to look into flashing your phone with ODIN and changing CSC to one in Canada to be able to use Samsung Pay and etc.
0 Likes
AmeriCanuck
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
I made a post about this since I bought an A52 5G and them found out it was an Indian version. Everything works fine except Samsung Pay. Is flashing easy to do if you follow instructions?
0 Likes
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy A
When you're flashing the original firmware. It is fairly simple.

But when you want to flash the firmware of another country/provider, it's a lot more complex. And there are a lot of steps. Sometimes, it's not even possible because you have to check if you can unlock the bootloader first.

I won't advise anyone to do it unless they really know what they're doing because you might end up bricking your phone.
AmeriCanuck
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
Yeah, ok...that's what I was thinking about. I was going to call around to some of the cell phone repair places you see if they would do it
0 Likes