Original topic:

My Files, preinstalled problem

(Topic created on: 08-06-2021 11:29 AM)
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy A
The My Files app on my A50 version 12.2.00.251 has telephone permissions which cannot be removed because it considers the permission required to operate. 

The galaxy store shows the following for My Files 
[required permissions] is storage used to open, delete, edit, search files and folders on internal / external memory. 

Why is Samsung forcing the telephone permissions on my A50 for the My Files app which cannot be removed?
27 Comments
h0h0h0
Active Level 7
Galaxy A
It requires the permission to send pictures, files ect.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Thing is that he's asked the same thing before & was given the answer. 

I really don't know why he's so paranoid, & still uses Smart Phones?

The "privacy ship" has sailed a long time ago. 

SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
It doesn't require telephone permission to send pictures. Samsungtwo own description demonstrates that the telephone permission is not required.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Why do you care? 

My Files has had access to your phone since it was installed. Any privacy concerns are already irrelevant.

I've already told you how to deny any permission to any system or user installed app.

But you seem to be determined to ignore the available solutions to your issues & I mean YOUR issues. No one else cares about permissions to the extent that you do. 

If you think that Samsung is going to change how they use permissions, because you don't like them, or are waiting for a non 3rd party met to deny permissions, good luck. 

Screenshot_20210806_231928.jpg

Screenshot_20210806_231937.jpg

RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Some people would be better off using semaphore to communicate.. 

Georgine
Options
Galaxy A

Hi SamSungtwo, Thank you reaching out with your question. For pre-installed applications, like My Files, it automatically gets the telephone permissions and this may not be changed by users. Additionally, it is required to access folders on internal and external memory in order for the users to create folders and move files, etc.

We have notified our development team to update the description on the Galaxy Store to include the phone permission.

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
Georgina, Samsung permission clearly states it requires the storage permission not telephone permission. Can you explain how the telephone permission is used? Provide an example.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Bottom line, Samsung's My Files is the ONLY File Explorer that even asks for Phone permissions. 

Why would an app require Phone permissions, only reason would be to verify the identity of the device by being able to access the IMEI. 

Root Explorer Pro, Solid Explorer Pro, Mixplorer don't even ask for Phone permissions & these File Explorers are arguably the most highly respected & rated File Explorers in use.

There is NO good reason why Samsung's My Files actually *NEEDS* Phone permissions.

Georgine, nor anyone else at Samsung can justify this permission for this app. PERIOD.

But like I said, it's quite easy to deny Phone permissions to My Files, or any other Samsung app, but it does require a 3rd party app & adb or shizuku. 

SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
If that is true Samsung is purposely providing an app that exposes users to celluar communications and is claiming they have no knowledge of the telephone permission. Samsung is also preventing users from removing or disable that permission.
Georgina is it true Samsung doesn't know or can provide an example of how the Samsung app my files users telephone permissions?
Screenshot_20210806-134745_Permission controller.jpg
0 Likes