Original topic:

Require PIN instead of fingerprint

(Topic created on: 09-25-2019 02:02 PM)
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Options
Galaxy A
I have installed security patch August 1 2019 and have noticed that without touching my phone it requires a PIN instead of my fingerprint and I have not touched the screen, and the phone was not powered off based on a app that was still running. 

Does anyone know why this occurs?

0 Likes
21 Comments
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy A

when setting up a fingerprint, initially you were required to setup a pin, pattern, or password. that is normal behavior that it asks for a pin sometimes

0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
No it is not normal. When I unlock my phone I always use fingerprint only. F or some reason it no longer requested fingerprint and only accepted a PIN.

The only condition that I know can cause this condition is that powering off the phone. I did not bbn power of my phone.
0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy A
and how long have you had your device? first Samsung? seems like you're new

that's where you're wrong, it will sometimes ask you to confirm your identity with something besides your fingerprint... get used to it.
0 Likes
Tbud1981
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A

I've been with Samsung since just about the first note and this has to be the most ridiculous response about security.  You can't get much more of a secure way of signing in than a fingerprint.  You can't just "guess" a fingerprint

0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Galaxy A
Wow, way to resurrect an over 4 year post. This is an android security thing. Even my pixel devices do this.
0 Likes
Galaxy A
Hi SamSungtwo, can you double check if the Biometric security enable? If this is not in use, PIN will take over the security.
0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
To make it clear, I am using biometrics
0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
I should add that once that single occurrence of entering my pin it went back to biometrics and has continued so far.

My suspicion is something may be attempting to sign into my Samsung galaxy.
0 Likes
SamSungtwo
Active Level 8
Galaxy A
this had occurred again. without touching the phone. when I picked it up to use my biometrics it started 5 incorrect attempts and then forced me to enter my pin to access the phone.