Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Messages with Google Messages features?

(Topic created on: 07-16-2021 04:30 PM)
soccerdad
Active Level 6
Options
Galaxy A
When is it expected that Samsung will roll out the same feature to Samsung Messages that are being rolled out in the newest version of Google Messages? I've heard that Google and Samsung have been working together to achieve the standards for RCS. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
As you are with Bell, the S Messages RCS and the G Messages RCS are completely different systems. The Google RCS integration in S Messages was already available years ago in Canada with the July 2019 patch on the Note9, and it was promptly extended to other devices.

With Bell, S Messages uses Bell's RCS infrastructure and G Messages uses the more widely adopted Jibe RCS infrastructure (which can be customized by carriers as well).
Unfortunately, the RCS interconnect situation is a mess so you can't send or receive RCS messages with people using an RCS infrastructure that differs from yours.

On S Messages with Bell, you can only chat with other S Messages users with Bell, or revert to SMS/MMS. If you were to switch to G Messages, the aforementioned users will have to switch as well if you want to keep using RCS.

On the other hand, you will gain wider RCS chatting with anyone using S and G Messages that are not on Bell. Did I mention it was a messy situation?

View solution in context

8 Comments
theonecid
Expert Level 1
Galaxy A
What features are you talking about? Why not just use Google Messages if that's what you want
0 Likes
soccerdad
Active Level 6
Galaxy A
Encryption and such. The RCS features are hit and miss on my phone and I am currently using RCS with other Samsung Messages users
0 Likes
theonecid
Expert Level 1
Galaxy A
Use Google Messages that's what I use. It's better.
0 Likes
soccerdad
Active Level 6
Galaxy A
Buy others have to be using it also, to benefit from the RCS features, correct?
0 Likes
theonecid
Expert Level 1
Galaxy A
No I believe as long as they have RCS enabled it should work
0 Likes
Solution
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
As you are with Bell, the S Messages RCS and the G Messages RCS are completely different systems. The Google RCS integration in S Messages was already available years ago in Canada with the July 2019 patch on the Note9, and it was promptly extended to other devices.

With Bell, S Messages uses Bell's RCS infrastructure and G Messages uses the more widely adopted Jibe RCS infrastructure (which can be customized by carriers as well).
Unfortunately, the RCS interconnect situation is a mess so you can't send or receive RCS messages with people using an RCS infrastructure that differs from yours.

On S Messages with Bell, you can only chat with other S Messages users with Bell, or revert to SMS/MMS. If you were to switch to G Messages, the aforementioned users will have to switch as well if you want to keep using RCS.

On the other hand, you will gain wider RCS chatting with anyone using S and G Messages that are not on Bell. Did I mention it was a messy situation?
soccerdad
Active Level 6
Galaxy A
So, how can Bell be convinced to switch the RCS platform to the system that allows for cross carrier compatibility?
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A
Good question. They could simply make the switch but it will require them to issue a patch for all affected devices, which means all Samsung phones released after the S7. I do not believe that to be impossible. However, the effort remains present while the simple alternative is readily available to them at no effort, which is to point people towards G Messages. The only way I can see them make the change is to have enough people inquire about it.