Original topic:

is this software update genuine?

(Topic created on: 04-29-2021 03:22 PM)
Nkenerd
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note

above software update automatically installed in my phone when I restarted and has returned again for a new update.....am afraid its a spam as this is not the kind of software update am used to.....can someone pls help with info 
0 Likes
10 Comments
PigFarmer
Active Level 10
Galaxy Note
Samsung already has it's own Knox security app. Not perfect but does a good job.
You are better off buying a better security app like Avast, Lookout etc. Cheers 🍻
Galaxy Note
Careful.. this is how Samsung update looks like..

IMG-20210413-WA0002_4621.jpg

Nkenerd
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
exactly!
0 Likes
Galaxy Note

No, is fake. Do not update. Probably is Android virus.

CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
This is Verizon's software update page. It is actually safe if you imported your device. Please confirm this by going to Settings/About/Software. Model number should be SM-N960U/U1. Under Service Provider Software, you should see 3/4 3-letter codes, two of which at least should read as VZW.

But it's clear to me that this is a Verizon Note9 that you imported. The network and Wi-Fi indicators give that away. It's 100% safe, download away. This should be the April patch
Galaxy Note
Is it because this is US phone so the system update page looks different? I thought all Samsung system update looks the same? I saw other country's screenshots, they all same as ours. Only different for Verizon's phone?
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
US carriers benefit from a much, much closer relationship with Samsung. They can make extremely extensive modifications to software and even hardware (see the first 5G S10/Note10s, for example. All carriers had a special, tailor-made variant for their specific 5G network.) While we do have the same hardware and sensibly the same software outside those corner cases, Verizon has been using their own software update screen as seen here. It is really an exception in USA. Everywhere else use the standard Samsung prompt.
Galaxy Note
Good to know. Thanks CHMultimedia.
0 Likes
Nkenerd
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
I really appreciate your info....I have since been scared and thinking of doing away with the phone
0 Likes