Original topic:

T-Mobile (US) unlocked the eSIM

(Topic created on: 04-14-2021 04:42 PM)
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Options
Galaxy Note
It took what, 8 months? But at last, the immense privilege of having more than one SIM is now available on your pricey expensive premium++ phone. Or not, actually.
We are all aware of the fact that we share the same hardware as the US models. And they just received an update to that effect. Now, after months of reading about how either no carriers support the feature in Canada (a pretty bad lie in an era where confirming/debunking information is as easy as typing it on Google) or that the feature is coming, pending an update or partner support or whoever scapegoat they came across, you might want to know if that's finally it. The answer is no.

The update came as version DUC8, while Note20s here just received version DUCC, which is more recent. Clearly, had it been their intention to allow the feature for everyone this month, it would have been included in the latest patch. Although now, they have nobody to blame for this failure but themselves now:

- Carriers widely support eSIM;
- The hardware supports it;
- The software supports it (at least now);
- There's no law against it.

I've already explored a few months ago the subject in a blog post, where it is sadly evident that Samsung Canada doesn't want that feature to exist, with clear* mentions in their documentation that eSIM support is disabled by software in Canada.

*Clear, as in "plainly written", not "written in plain sight", akin to how this is typed in the smallest font the app will let me use, with poor contrast just to make it better.
3 Comments
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
T-mobile did?! Well that's good news for me. I actually sold my Canadian Z fold 2 and bought an AT&T USA one but flashed it to the unlocked version to remove the bloatware. So maybe with the new April update on my Z fold, I'll finally see esim support!

There are 2 IMEI on the box and I've wondered why I couldn't manage the sims like the phones overseas
0 Likes
mjbkhyii
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Note
B
0 Likes
iflyfromyyz
Beginner Level 3
Galaxy Note
Its just crazy how Samsung takes us for granted and blatenly lies to us about carrier not supporting it
0 Likes