Original topic:

Friend got a S20 FE and now our messages are only SMS, not blue

(Topic created on: 03-27-2022 11:14 PM)
Alexopolis
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
My friend upgraded from an S8+ to a S21 FE and I can't get our messages back to how they were. We're both using the Samsung Messages app, both signed into our Samsung accounts...? Why are there no blue bubbles :(
0 Likes
16 Comments
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Did both of you enable the chat services in the messages settings?

Maybe when your friend got their new phone, they didn't set that up yet
0 Likes
Alexopolis
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
My friend is my mom and I set it all up for her, not sure why it's not working though
0 Likes
Deeezzyyy
Expert Level 1
Galaxy S
Make sure both phones have RCS/chat enabled in the messages settings.

I believe both phones do need to have a data plan as well even though you can connect to wifi.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Are you more concerned about the colour of your messages, or are you asking whether or not you can Send / Receive MMS / Chat?

My "bubbles" are lime green for Messages I send & grey with a black bg on the Messages Receive, but that's because of the Theme I'm running.

"pretty colours" lol 😂 

theonecid
Expert Level 2
Galaxy S
Pretty sure they want RCS lol
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Yeah I did mention "Chat" aka RCS. 

Their post just seemed to be focused on the colours lol 

Alexopolis
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I really don't care about the colours..... I was trying to explain that my messages are sending as SMS and not chat. Thanks for your helpful comment though
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Did you enable Chat (RCS) on both devices?

Does your Carrier support Chat (RCS)?

I use Google Messages, but you should see a confirmation on both devices that Chat (RCS) is enabled

Alexopolis
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Is it RCS that's needed for Samsung Messages? I have an S20 Ultra from 2020, I don't know if it does RCS? We were using Samsung Messages just fine until her upgrade yesterday, now we're back to old school SMS
0 Likes