Original topic:

One UI 4 on Galaxy S8: Is it possible?

(Topic created on: 04-15-2022 02:50 PM)
markc1707
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
Title says it. Is there any way possible to get the newest One UI update on a galaxy S8, or even One UI 2?

Thanks for any tips, I want It because I want that one single bar across the bottom to switch apps and stuff like that.
7 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

The only way that you could possibly get a One UI version other than what you have, would be to Root your device & Flash a Custom version of One UI V.x

Although your device has a Locked Bootloader, there's a Dev on XDA (Elliwigy) who has a method to either Unlock the Bootloader for some Samsung devices, or Flash a Custom Recovery with Root.

If you're just looking for a Gesture style Nav Bar, have a look at Fluid Navigation Gestures on the Play Store. 

The app is no longer being developed, but it worked really well on my old S8+ 

It does require adb commands to fully enable all the features. 

Screenshot_20220415_180903.jpg

markc1707
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Im trying it out now, thanks. That's all I really wanted
markc1707
Active Level 1
Galaxy S

Because on One UI 2 there is an option in Settings>Display>Navigation Bar to enable full screen gestures but for me it's 3 individual tabs, for newer ones its one single tab. That's what I was looking for.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

There's a bunch of different options with FNG. Bottom & side Gestures as well as "quick swipe" & "swipe & hold".

It's far better than the gestures available on One UI V4.0, but Google removed the overscan api from later versions of Ai, so it no longer works for me.

Just make sure that you use adb to enable everything & look around at what you can do with it. 

0 Likes
markc1707
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Alright thanks

Now I just gotta figure out how to enable adb lol
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

You need to use your computer. 

Download Platform-Tools to your computer. 

Download Samsung's USB Drivers to your computer.

Enable USB Debugging on your phone & Connect it to your computer.

Open Platform-Tools in Power Shell & you'll have to Grant Permission to allow the connection between the two.

Run the adb commands that are shown in Fluid Navigation Gestures..

I think that it's:

adb shell pm grant com.fb.fluid android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS

Brantley
Options
Galaxy S

Please follow the steps given by RedDogRabbit. Thank you RedDogRabbit.

0 Likes