Original topic:

S20 Ultra 5G

(Topic created on: 07-03-2021 01:45 PM)
Henry65
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy S
I would like to complain about the reception on this phone. The model is SM988O, my old s8+ worked really well in my office even as it switched to 3G. My carried has poor service in that area. Switching to this S20 Ultra was great where there is service but in office it's horrible even phone calls are not being received. Only reason I bought this phone is because it is the last model that has the external SD storage. Why is Samsung going this route? To force users to subscribe to their online storage? Like Apple? I hate Apple for that and I even bought a One Plus which actually works great but I need to bring this topic of external storage up, we want to keep it. And fix this reception problem, I believe it's when the phone switches to a 5G carrier and cannot switch back to 4G. If I only knew, I would have not bought it. 
13 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

What country are you in? 

Looks like you have a Hong Kong variant, SM-G988O. I'm not sure if it's actually fully compatible with the Canadian networks?

I believe that this variant has either GSM or CDMA. If you have the CDMA version it's not likely to perform well in Canada, which uses GSM networks. Pretty sure that none of the Canadian carriers use CDMA anymore. 

0 Likes
Georgine
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, Where did you purchase the phone?

0 Likes
Henry65
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
When is Samsung going to step up like One Plus that phone has amazing features, specs are better and cheaper. The only thing I like about Samsung is the secure folder feature.
0 Likes
Henry65
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Yes phone was purchased in HK. And yes Canada does have both CDMA GSM etc, freedom mobile is actually on the 1900/2100 spectrum and I checked before buying. I would like a Samsung rep to chime in here. Phone works great when in areas within Freedom mobile network, but if it jumps onto another carrier (roaming) then it has trouble connecting back, it only happens if it jumps onto a Roger's 5G network. This **bleep** big time since I paid almost $2k for this phone, it has dual Sim and 256GB
0 Likes
Halston
Options
Galaxy S

Hey Henry65,
Thanks for sharing the place of purchase of the device.
Please note that the specifications of the device may vary from one country to another country.
Then, perform the reset Network Settings on your device and check if it works fine.
Go to Settings>> General Management>>Reset>>Reset Network Settings>>Reset settings.

This will reset all network settings, including those for Wi-Fi, Mobile Data, Bluetooth.
Restart the mobile if necessary and check if it works.

0 Likes
Henry65
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Thanks Halston tried all of these already. I reverted to buying back another S8+ for $300. So now I have 3 phones 1 useless top of the line S20 Ultra 5G that have connectivity issues, it's a known problem, check the blogs in the USA, exactly the same issue. I should have done more DD but I trusted Samsung!! As I was saying 3 phones now, the One Plus works great but lacks the external memory card too, so I gave that $900 phone to my son to watch YouTube. I am back to using my new S8+ my old one got dropped in water and the screen got messed up because water got in the cracks on the edges... So I am out what $3200?
0 Likes
Henry65
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
I don't know what wireless chip you guys are using now but it **bleep**.. Or maybe it's the software anyways the S20 Ultra is a piece of **bleep**.
0 Likes
Henry65
Active Level 1
Galaxy S
Sorry correction Freedom mobile operates as CDMA on the 1700/2100 spectrum
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

Wow, I really didn't think that any of the Canadian carriers still used CDMA. Yes I see how it could be a problem with the other Carriers. 

0 Likes