Original topic:

Samsung pass says "device rooted"

(Topic created on: 06-03-2022 05:33 PM)
Mohammadaksh
Beginner Level 2
Options
Galaxy S

Everytime i open the app it says my device is rooted. I never installed any custom firmware, nor modified my s10+ in any way. I also noticed samsung health and pay wont work anymore. Anyone with similar experience

12 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

What is the model number of your device, and did you purchase it new or used? 

But the apps that aren't working, are consistent with a device that has been Rooted at some point. 

0 Likes
Mohammadaksh
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

G975f

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

I thought that it might be the Exynos variant. They are very easy to Root. So if you purchased the device used, then the chances that someone else had Rooted it previously are quite high.

Unfortunately, even when you Un-Root the device, the Knox Flags are still "tripped" and that is irreversible.

There is a workaround for Samsung Health, but that's the only app that you can still get to work.

Let me know if you would like help with Samsung Health.

Samsung Pay & Samsung Pass can NOT be recovered unfortunately. 

Axton
Options
Galaxy S

Hi, we suggest you to check the status of the device.
Please go to the Settings >> About device >> Status and let us know what is it mentioned there.
If it is mentioned as OFFICIAL.
So it is necessary to perform a factory data reset.
or
if Anything other than official it is rooted and it requires service.

Before performing factory data reset please the given below information.
You can perform a factory reset.
This feature will completely erase your personal information and data.
Please perform a backup and save any information you need prior to the factory reset because otherwise your personal information may not be recovered.
If you have an encrypted microSD card, you must decrypt it before resetting the phone. Otherwise, your phone will not be able to read the data on the card.

From Settings, search for and select Decrypt SD card, and then use the on-screen prompts. From Settings, search for and select Factory data reset.
Next, tap Factory data reset again, and then review the information.
When you are ready, swipe to and tap Reset.
If you have a security lock set on the phone, you will be asked to enter the credentials.
To delete all information and downloaded apps, tap Delete all.
Your phone will reset when it turns back on
it will start from the initial setup screen.

RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

If "Status" says "Official" Or not, does not mean that the device is CURRENTLY Rooted or not. 

If you Root a device, and then Unroot, it can still say Official, all that needs to be done is Flash the Official Stock Samsung Firmware.

The only way to really know is to Boot into Download Mode & look at the "warranty line" if it says Knox with any number other than "0" the device was previously Rooted, doesn't matter if it's not Rooted now.

But once Knox is "tripped", Samsung Pass & Samsung Pay will not work.. Official or not 😉

A Factory Reset doesn't remove Root either. 

You have to Flash the Stock Samsung Firmware or remove the Superuser Binaries, but it still won't allow Pay or Pass. 

Dosunmu
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

Interesting feedback. My phone has not been rooted. I downloaded the knox status and it says warranty valid but SHealth, SPay, Spass won't work. Spay and Health says contact center but Spass says phone is rooted.

Screenshot_20220712-080138_Knox Status.jpg

RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

"Knox 0x0" means that Knox flags have never been tripped, assuming that the app you are using is accurate.

Your device is the Exynos variant, which can be Rooted. It's also not a North American device. That shouldn't have any bearing on the other issues with your Samsung apps though.

You can try Clearing BOTH Cache & Data for the apps in question. See if that works for you? 

0 Likes
TC2
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy S

We have a Galaxy S9 that exhibits exactly this same behavior.  In download mode, it also shows Warranty Void status as 0X0.  It also shows RMPB fuse blown, and RMPB provisioned.  Don't know if this is indicative of any problem, or not. We have factory reset it twice, with same results.  Curious as to why S Pass  says it has been rooted if  the warranty/Knox  status shows it as Not.  We have also run Root Checker, which  says the phone is not rooted.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy S

"RMPB fuse blown"  is apparently normal and is on everyone's phone.

What is the model number of your device, ie: SM-G9xxxx? 

Root checker saying that the device is not Rooted, only means that it is not currently Rooted. 

The Warranty Void Status of 0x0 is what is important.

In Settings > About Phone > Status Information, does it say "Official", or? 

0 Likes