Original topic:

Moderators Might Want to *PIN* Switch to Google's Messaging App

(Topic created on: 05-09-2022 07:08 PM)
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Options
Others

Looks like there's a growing number of people, who are having issues with Samsung's Messaging app. 

At the moment, the main issue is that their Contacts are no longer visible, just the phone number. 

If Google's Messaging app is not installed on your device, just download it from the Play Store, when you go to open it, you'll be prompted to select which Messaging app you want to use as the Default Messaging app, Select Google's Messaging app. 

In Google's Messaging app, click on Settings & Then "Chat Features" to enable RCS (Chat). 

Samsung's Moderators are advising people that this will be a "delightful" experience... lol

"we are sorry for the experience you had with Samsung messages app.

But we recommend you to use Google messages instead of Samsung messages....Samsung believes that this change will accelerate RCS(Rich Chatting Service) adoption and help Galaxy users messaging experiences more engaging and DELIGHTFUL." - Samsung Moderators 

8 Comments
btrthnvr
Active Level 8
Others
How sad Samsung mods promoting Google apps on Samsung phone lol. Oh wait, they're already dead inside™
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Others

Haha yeah. According to Samsung's spin, Google is collaborating with Samsung on RCS, but I think that it's actually Samsung who needed Google's help to get RCS working, and from the direction Samsung is going, it looks like trying to fix Samsung's Messaging, was more trouble than it's worth? 

Google & Samsung are also working on Wearables as well as other things I'm sure. 

Samsung DOES make great hardware, even if they keep removing useful functions. 

My favourite part of Samsung Moderators cut 'n paste, has got to be the "DELIGHTFUL" experience.. lol it's just RCS, not afternoon tea with your hero 😂

Only reason for this post, is there's more & more people asking about the missing Contact names in Samsung Messages, so while it's a bit unlikely that many people will actually read a Pinned Post, some might. 

btrthnvr
Active Level 8
Others
Samsung MUST invest more in their own software. People pay top dollars of their "flagship phones" not to mention all the hurdle to just to get them.
iFlYSoLo
Expert Level 5
Others
My contacts are fine but I can't share anything if I use samsung messages. It automatically switches to Google messages lol
Anonymous
Not applicable
Others
I dont want to switch and have all my private messages and Ext go through google app .. are you working on fixing the original messages app or do I have no choice but to switch?
0 Likes
-Tony
Options
Others

After the most recent software update, some devices no longer display contact names in messages. There are two recommended fixes.

Back to old messaging app
Go to Settings > Select Apps > Tap on Choose Default apps > Tap on SMS app > Select Messages app with the three dots and message box as the icon under select default app.

Merge contacts
Go to Settings > Accounts & Back up > Manage accounts > Tap on your Google Account > Tap on Sync account > Select Contacts to sync your contacts list.

0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Others

That's actually not very clear Tony.

What do you mean by, "back to old messaging app"?

Old as in the Samsung Messages app, would depend on whether or not you switched to Google Messages or not.

Samsung's Moderators up until your post here, have been advising people to switch to Google's Messaging app.

I've only ever used Google's.

If you're saying that this is a "fix" for people who continued with Samsung's Messaging app, in spite of not seeing the Contact information, then you might want to PIN a Post with this information 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
Others
I'd rather wait or is it possible for me to roll back my update??
0 Likes