Original topic:

My TV screen has black vertical line

(Topic created on: 06-30-2020 12:28 PM)
amykwon
Active Level 1
Options
Others

Hi Samsung and community,

My 14 month year old Tv has a black vertical line near the middle of the screen that appeared around 3 days ago.

I called the Samsung call centre and they directed me to a repair centre near me ( I am in Kingston Ontario which only has one repair centre in our city) and they said I needed to change whole panel and that it would cost $800 + tax + $70 extra for technician travel expenses. which is the same price of a brand new TV.

This is very sad and upsetting because it hasn't even been 2 years since we got it, and Samsung is one of the top brands in the world I believe.  I have 3 kids who love watching the TV during this pandemic.

I cannot afford to pay for repair's or a new tv! what should I do? please help me.

KakaoTalk_20200628_115607835.jpgKakaoTalk_20200628_120800366_01.jpgKakaoTalk_20200628_120800366.jpg

0 Likes
11 Comments
snooksnake
Active Level 6
Others
should never had bought a piece of junk from Samsung.
0 Likes
amykwon
Active Level 1
Others

Yes, I guess a piece of junk hanging in my wall even I need to pay if I need to disposal.

what should I do.... ahhhhh I feel irritated.

0 Likes
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Others

Hi, i don't know if you have a law in your country that protect you for that kind of nonsense. A television is supposed to be good almost 8 or 10 years, read this :

https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/good-service/goods/electronic/warrantie/legal-warranties/

What is a “reasonable lifetime”?

The reasonable lifetime warranty provides that goods must serve for normal use for a reasonable period of time. However, the law does not specify, for example, that a television set must have a lifetime of 10 years. I hope you have a similar law in Ontario.

If i was at your place, i'd surely go in Court with this if they refuse to repair it free ...

0 Likes
amykwon
Active Level 1
Others

Right!! a reasonable lifetime!!!  my 10 years old LG TV is still working perfectly!!

I am also searching for a  consumer protection ontario to see what I can do.  

thank you for the all the info @Cassidy

Others
@snooksnake I'm sorry....a piece of junk Samsung??
whaaat?? you do understand that Samsung makes one of the best TVs ever right? They have reached an all time global number 1 TV brand for the past 14 years!! A title like that does not come easy. They are the first and only brand that has been 8K certified. I am not sure what bad experience you may have had on Samsung TVs to be calling them "piece of junk" but it could of been something casued by you or misusing the TV itself. I have only ever owned Samsung TVs including my current Quantum Q70 4K and I have never had any problems. Best TVs ever!

@amukwon, I am guessing you didn't purchase and extend warranty when you bought the TV?
0 Likes
amykwon
Active Level 1
Others

@SnowCat19

No, I did not purchase an extend warranty because I believed in Samsung products and I didn't think that it would break so early compared to my old LG tv which is still working perfectly after 10 years!

I am so disappointed and sad because I am someone who is proud of Samsung!

0 Likes
carr0498
Active Level 10
Others

If you purchased it with a credit card, contact your CC company because normally they have an extended warranty insurance built-in to the cards.  It normally doubles the lifetime of the warranty.  Call the number on the back of your card.

0 Likes
amykwon
Active Level 1
Others

I purchased by my debit card! I didn't  know that CC company warranty insurance built-in to the card.

good info! thanks @carr0498

0 Likes
Others
I am with you 100% I too believe in Samsung products like no tomorrow.....however I still always purchase extended warranty....just in case. I'm so sorry for your situation :(
0 Likes