Original topic:

one drive and google photo's

(Topic created on: 09-12-2020 09:01 PM)
TBone
Expert Level 1
Options
Others
So for the past few years I used to only use my SD card for storing photos and etc. As of recently I started using paid cloud storage (google one) as a backup for my photos and video. Google offers far more storage and price options, and a one year Subscription payment option. 

So all that said I do how ever have some gripes with Google photos, I personally find the biggest one being samsung gallery app and Google photos don't seem to always mirror each other.  And often times if you do something within the samsung Gallery app, it offten doesn't mirror over to Google photos. So I've been trying to use Google photos as my main gallery app,  but i often find samsung gallery app easier to use for most things. But I've been putting up with it because google photos supports SD card syncing. But often times find myself having to for stop the Google photos app in order to re sync it with the Gallery app. And that is becoming a major pain in the A**.

Recently I've  Considered switching over to Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage. But the price of it is shocking, but I've starting looking around the app and one drive doesn't appear to support SD card syncing. Does anyone know if there is a way to make this work?. I don't Want to have To switch my gallery over to internal storage because I only have 64GB storage internally, if I switch over to internal storage my device would be completely full. 

15 Comments
ctangabc
Active Level 7
Others
Samsung Gallery should automatically sync your photos/videos to Onedrive, and use an SD card as local storage for your photos/videos.
TBone
Expert Level 1
Others
this is the part I'm referring to. sorry I should have taken this screen shot earlier.
0 Likes
mytech
Expert Level 3
Others
Quick question...
Your a smart feller, why not just backup to a computer 🤷
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Others
I suppose I could, but that takes time and it doesn't happen automatically.
0 Likes
Fatwa
Active Level 9
Others
Kinda ridiculous that a special relationship between Microsoft and Samsung actually degrades the user experience right? The oversight is simply stunning.

There is a work around. Disable the special 'Gallery sync using One Drive'. Make sure to disconnect the special relationship on the one drive app as well.

After thats done, use the OneDrive app to administer the sync, and it'll cover items stored on your SD card.

TBone
Expert Level 1
Others
well i was kinda thinking about how I could kinda get it to work last night. 🤔 I had all of the auto sync stuff turned off as you suggested, it doesn't seem to make much difference.

how ever if I try to upload files I have access to my SD card and everything on it. 👍🏻 okay thats fine. but that's i guess a manual way of doing things which defeats the purpose in my mind. I may as well keep my google one account and have my some what backing up Google photos including on the SD card. up loading new pictures and videos in the background and have a secondary manual copy of everything in google drive for a 3rd of the cost one Microsoft OneDrive. 🤷🏻♂️💰.
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Others
okay i will try it again, but is your suggestion going to auto Populate the photos on the SD card? or is there still going to be a manual aspect to it. because right now, nothing changes if I have auto sync on or not.
0 Likes
Others
@Fatwa - This is interesting work around. So, basically Gallery won't allow to sync SD card to OneDrive. But OneDrive can cover the sync with SD card. I guess Gallery app needs to open up the SD card sync now. 😜
TBone
Expert Level 1
Others
@ Tallman - clearly I'm missing something. because i can't get this to work. can some one explain it like I'm S***I'd 🤪. because apparently I am.
0 Likes