Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Free App

(Topic created on: 02-28-2021 06:23 PM)
Options
Others
Hi Everyone.  Ever since I joined Samsung Members, I think this is my first complaint.  It is in regards to the Samsung Free App.  I just want to say that this app is totally crapola.  Not only are the stories old and out of date,  but the whole App is riddled with useless ads.  It is time that Samsung got rid of this app.  I can force stop it but cannot uninstall it.  

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Others
Jayman1973
I read somewhere then on S21, you have choice between Samsung Free or Discover from Google...

Can you confirm that?

How to switch from Samsung Free to the Google Discover feed on your Galaxy S21 phone

Press down firmly on your device's home screen to bring up the customization options.Swipe right to get to the - 1 screen where the feeds live.Make sure the switch at the top is toggled On to blue.Tap on Google Discover
Swipe right to get to the - 1 screen where the feeds live.Make sure the switch at the top is toggled On to blue.

Tap on Google Discover. ...(suite)

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-switch-samsung-free-google-discover-feed-your-galaxy-s21-phone

or

https://www.sammobile.com/news/how-to-switch-to-google-discover-home-screen-one-ui-3-1/

View solution in context

12 Comments
Solution
Cassidy
Expert Level 5
Others
Jayman1973
I read somewhere then on S21, you have choice between Samsung Free or Discover from Google...

Can you confirm that?

How to switch from Samsung Free to the Google Discover feed on your Galaxy S21 phone

Press down firmly on your device's home screen to bring up the customization options.Swipe right to get to the - 1 screen where the feeds live.Make sure the switch at the top is toggled On to blue.Tap on Google Discover
Swipe right to get to the - 1 screen where the feeds live.Make sure the switch at the top is toggled On to blue.

Tap on Google Discover. ...(suite)

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-switch-samsung-free-google-discover-feed-your-galaxy-s21-phone

or

https://www.sammobile.com/news/how-to-switch-to-google-discover-home-screen-one-ui-3-1/
Others
@Cassidy, Thank You for your assistance with this. I followed your instructions and now have Google Discover as my news source. Thank You Again!!!!
Others
It seems that Google Discover is exclusive to the S21, even after updating my Note 20 Ultra to One UI 3.1, still no Google Discover to replace Samsung Free. So I'm just sticking with having the Google Search bar on my Homescreen and just click on the "G" to get Google Discover.
0 Likes
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Others
The fact that it also sources news from Taboola is concerning. Taboola is a notorious sensationalistic news purveyor that serves information of dubious quality. They are like Outbrain, and they're both the nuisance that serves clickbait ads that look like news articles (Doctors hate this single mom because she discovered one weird TRICK!!!). The fact that this app considers it like a legitimate news source shows that this app is a lazy cash grab to make ad revenue on sensationalistic news.

Big thanks to Cassidy for the steps. I do not use news aggregators because they hurt journalists but for those that do use it for convenience, these steps will be of serious help.
nickthaskater
Active Level 6
Others
My thought exactly when I saw the "news" is being sourced from Taboola. Hot pile of garbage.
0 Likes
Montypython
Active Level 5
Others
is there an option for the S10 to remove it As the only option I can find is to force stop, not able to remove or disable
0 Likes
Others
Long press on the homescreen then swipe to the left until you get to the Samsung Free screen, hit the toggle to turn off.

Screenshot_20210302-091029_One UI Home_36923.jpg

Montypython
Active Level 5
Others
that's what I ended up doing actually while looking for widgets
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Others
bixby home page/samsung daily/samsung free has been Crapola right from day one. Google is the way to go 100%.