Resolved! Solved

Original topic:

moving apps to SD card on A7

(Topic created on: 11-02-2020 11:35 AM)
chefgarry
Active Level 2
Options
Tablets
I can move non-system apps to my SD card on my S6 but not on my wife's A7. The same apps on both devices. How can I do this?
16 Comments
Tablets
I remembered move app to SD card option was many years ago. I have not see this option after Note8. What OS version of your S6? Is your wife A7 is brand new running on Android10?

You can check from:
Open Settings →About phone → Software Information→ Android version
0 Likes
chefgarry
Active Level 2
Tablets
both tablets are running android 10.
0 Likes
Tablets

Check this, Open Settings -> Applications -> Application manager -> Under Downloaded list, click an app that you want to move.

Let me know if you have Move to SD card button? Or it grey out? Or you don't have this button on Tab A7?

0 Likes
chefgarry
Active Level 2
Tablets
the move button exists on my S6 but not on her A7.
0 Likes
Tablets

Ok, since the Tab A7 is brand new. Is your SD card brand new? Can you format your SD card?

***NOTE: if you have important data, please backup your SD Card first

Try format your SD Card

- Open Settings -> Device Maintenance -> Storage -> SD card

- Click 3 dots on top right -> Storage settings

- Under portable storage, click SD card

- Click Format (Again, make sure you backup your data on SD card before you click Format, all data on card will erase and not recoverable.)

Once finish format, reboot your Tab A7, then try again and see if the app able to move to SD Card.

0 Likes
chefgarry
Active Level 2
Tablets
the card is less than a year old but I'll try formatting it after backing up data.
0 Likes
Tablets
According to Halston - The ability to move apps to the microSD card is not supported by all apps and this option is not available on all tablets.

I am not sure if this option support Tab A7. If it is not support on A7, no need to format your SD Card.
0 Likes
Halston
Options
Tablets

Thank you@Tallman for your information.
Hey chefgarry,
Please follow the suggestions provided by Tallman and check if it works.
Note: Free up the internal memory on your tablet by moving apps to your microSD card. The ability to move apps to the microSD card is not supported by all apps and this option is not available on all tablets. If this option is not available the app cannot be moved.

0 Likes
chefgarry
Active Level 2
Tablets
tallman: websites say you can by the method you've first proposed. I've done that on my old Tab E and my S6. I'll try the formatting when she gets back with her A7.

Halston: I've moved apps as I said in my comment to tallmanfor just the reason you stated. I can't find anything that says I can't on the A7. I'll let you know if it works.
0 Likes