Original topic:

Phone vs Gmail Contacts

(Topic created on: 01-17-2022 03:29 PM)
rossputin
Active Level 5
Options
Galaxy A
So my  phone has seemed to download my Gmail contact and linked them.  I don't want it to.  Isn't this required or can I safely delete all the phone contacts and simply display Gmail contacts?

0 Likes
12 Comments
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

I have all my Contacts saved to my Google account & None in my Samsung account, SIM or Phone. 

It makes a lot of sense, because if you ever change your phone, you just have to log into your Google account. 

So you don't need to keep your Contacts anywhere else. 

17 January 2022 193023 GMT-0500.png

0 Likes
rossputin
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
Yes. But why did my phone do that in the first place?
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

If you mean why did your phone sync your Phone & or SIM Contacts to your Google account, probably because it in Settings > Google > Settings for Google Apps Sync is enabled for your Contacts. 

rossputin
Active Level 5
Galaxy A
No, I mean why did it copy them to "Phone ". It shouldn't have.
0 Likes
RedDogRabbit
Expert Level 5
Galaxy A

Are ALL your Contacts stored on the Phone as well?

It's possible that when you first got the phone, you may have Added a New Contact & you unintentionally had the Phone as the Default place to Save New Contacts to, & then that got Synced to your Google account.

All this to say that it's not something nefarious going on with your phone.

You should be able to Delete the Contacts saved to the Phone & your Samsung account, if you want them to be saved only to your Google account.

Georgine
Options
Galaxy A

Hi, you can delete the contacts which are not linked with Gmail and disable the sync option to keep the backup of the contacts with the email account.

brandanct
Active Level 4
Galaxy A
If you go to the contacts app, you can go to settings and merge duplicates, or backup all contacts to your Google account and delete them from the device. Store them in your google account only.
0 Likes
jsin44
Beginner Level 2
Galaxy A
I would like to delete only the phone contacts in my Contacts app so I only see my Gmail contacts but I can't figure out how to do that. Merge Duplicates only shows about 5 contacts to merge when I have a boat 700 redundant contacts in my phone that I want to delete. How specifically do you delete them, please?
0 Likes
brandanct
Active Level 4
Galaxy A
Depending on the device, you may be able to filter the view to Phone only and select all and delete. Transfer the ones you want to your Google account. If you can't delete them all, you CAN filter the view to google account contacts only.
0 Likes