Original topic:

Ads in First Party Apps on Galaxy Devices

(Topic created on: 08-29-2020 09:33 AM)
Scaryspikes
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note
I have owned many Samsung (and other) products over the last two decades and I have never experienced something like this before. I wanted to post here to see if anyone else experiences the same frustrations as me and to show Samsung that people care about this topic. 

I have been a Samsung customer since the S3, and my first note device was the Note 2. 

Only since the Note 10+ have I noticed the incredibly intrusive ads for Samsung products inside of Samsung's own first-party applications like health, pay, members end game launcher.

The advertisements are obnoxiously large and they usually have nothing to do with what the application does. in many of these apps you have the option to turn direct marketing off, and that request has to be respected in Canada. It's the law. so Samsung wouldn't send you something by email if you requested them not to do so but yet they think they can get away with putting these gigantic ads at the top of the apps that you already paid for. 

I recently replaced my Samsung Galaxy Note 10 plus with a note 20 ultra and I'm experiencing the same issues. why should I have advertisements in first-party apps by the same company who made the phone and designed the software when I have already paid $2,300 for my device?

I understand that advertisements exist naturally within market places such as Galaxy apps and the Google Play store. but in my opinion they have absolutely no place in first party apps.

when I contacted Samsung about this the only straight answer I got in the sea of copy and paste replies was that these are not ads, but instead, our suggestions for what to pair your phone with in different apps. Such as the advertisement for a Galaxy watch inside of Samsung health.

That's absolutely ridiculous, no other company treats their customers this way. I have never used any first party application over the many phones that I have owned over the last two decades I have never experienced such greed. As if spending $2,300 wasn't enough I am being forced to look at advertisements for other products that I am not interested in. It's both a waste of time and money and most importantly, it breaks the law in my country. It is a form of direct advertisement which oncw opted out of should cease immediately.

I just wanted to know how the rest of the community felt around these advertisements and what other experiences other people may have had. I'm sure that I'm not the only one, and I think Samsung needs to hear our collective voice that these kinds of ads are not acceptable in first party applications for which we pay thousands of dollars. 

Thanks for your time and your input.
11 Comments
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
We all hate these ads. We all wished they were never added. A lot of us paid handsomely for our devices and deserve an ad-free experience. There's no excuse at this price range.
Scaryspikes
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Amen. I'm so glad I'm not the only one. I brought this up at a Samsung store and 2 different people looked at me in agreement. thank you, even if you're the only one that gets back to me at least I know I'm not alone.
Kinsley
Options
Galaxy Note
Samsung is reviewing the advertisement services to provide more diverse and convenient services for our customers. Samsung is committed to providing the best possible mobile experiences and product quality continues to be one of our top priorities.
However, We will take it as feedback and will forward it to the concerned team for further review.
0 Likes
Scaryspikes
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
it's really not fair to treat your customers like this. if we choose not to receive ads, we should not be forced to consume them.

not on first party applications to which a portion of my phone's $2,300 coat goes.

A better use of this would be a more subtle and acceptable form of advertising like a discrete dialogue box that might pop up to ask the client If they'd like to see compatible watches when they select to take their pulse in the health app, for instance. This would satisfy power users by not bombarding them with useless ads of products they would have already owned if they wanted them and would help the people who are less aware of Samsung's ecosystem and are open to explore it.

it's practices like this, that show a company is greedy, that made me turn away from apple and sell my devices in a matter of 2 days.

two iPhones, an apple tv, an iPad, an apple watch and a MacBook were gone in two days.

if you don't treat me with respect and value the money I pay you, I will go to someone who does. these ads are intrusive and have nothing to do with the subject matter in the app that the customer is trying to access.

the worst part about all this is having copy and paste responses from customer service sent off like my concern means nothing.

Just because the S Pen is convenient that doesn't mean I won't take my note 20 back to the store within the next week, return it and buy a similarly specced OnePlus device which has NO ads in its first party apps and comes from a company that listens to its most loyal customers.
RobertZ
Active Level 9
Galaxy Note
"Samsung is committed to providing the best possible mobile experiences..."

Seriously? By putting in ads?
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
how about less ads! they are ugly and intrusive!
0 Likes
TBone
Expert Level 1
Galaxy Note
I hate seeing these ugly Annoying and intrusive ads. they are everywhere!!!!! big ugly scrolling bars of B.S.
Krakatau
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Thank you Scaryspikes and CHMultimedia for expressing and representing our frustrations. I couldn't have stated my case any better than you did. I stayed away from Apple to have freedom. Freedom from companies pushing their stuffs down our throat.

I paid heftily for my Note 20 Ultra to upgrade from S9+ thinking I'd have paid for my freedom. If nothing changes, this would be my last Samsung phone. For me today's technology has brought such high performance phones to the level that anyone of them is enough to satisfy my needs.

I have been and prefer to be a loyal customer. It gives me comfort and familiarity. If they're no longer there, I have no choice but to find them elsewhere.
Scaryspikes
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Wow, Krakatau thank you for this.

I appreciate the kind words and honestly there is no way that we will see change until we come together to let these companies know that they need to change.

at the end of the day only one fact makes all the difference. without consumers buying products, the company would not be what it is now.

if you feel the same way as I do, considering leaving for another device if things do not change, I am sure there are thousands, if not more, of unspoken for, frustrated people who should be considered as well.

thank you for your input, every time someone speaks up, we get stronger and our message gets louder.