Original topic:

Re: Galaxy Software Updates

(Topic created on: 01-14-2019 10:49 AM)
ATZ138
Active Level 1
Options
Galaxy Note
Hi, Samsung:
If you are reading, please note that you are not "providing a great experience as first priority" as you said below.
If you are, then you should release monthly security patches for Oreo to all Galaxy devices as the schedules of Google's mobile devices. My Galaxy Note 9 is still running with Nov-01-2018 security patch in Jan-2019. I am one of the users who want to stay with Oreo to avoid software bug in the new Pie OS. If you only apply the latest security patch in Pie OS, what is left with the users who want to stick with Oreo?
Sincerely.
================
Pie OS Update Schedule01-02
Thank you for taking an interest in our products and services. We would like to inform users about the Android 9.0 Pie update optimized for our Galaxy customers. We've prepared the Android Pie OS update to improve your mobile experience. Here is the detailed information.   [Eligible Models] Note9 – February 2019 S9/S9+ -- January 2019 Note8 – February 2019 S8/S8+ -- March 2019 A8 2018 – April 2019 J3 2018 (J337W) – July 2019 Tab A 10.5 (T597W) – August 2019 XCover4 – September 2019 Tab Active 2 (T387W) – October 2019 Tab A8.0 (T387W) – November 2019     Providing a great experience is our first priority.   Update schedule and eligible models could be changed if we encounter any issues through ongoing review.   The update may also be halted for a while even after the official update, when an emergency fix is occurred. We will notify through Samsung Members if there is any schedule or model list changes. At Samsung, we are committed to providing our customers with the best experience possible. Samsung has grown with your voices and feedbacks and we are constantly seeking to improve user experience on our products and services. We look forward to bringing more convenient and safe features in order to provide our customers with new and improved services in the future. Thanks.
===========
12 Comments
theonecid
Expert Level 2
Galaxy Note
That's because Pie is releasing this month for S9/S9+ devices and will have January security update. Note 9 next month.
Galaxy Note
That's right
0 Likes
ATZ138
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
I don't need Pie, I want to stay with Oreo but want the latest monthly security patch. That's my point.
0 Likes
Moderator_
Options
Galaxy Note
Hey @ATZ138,

Sorry to hear that you're not having a great experience with how often Oreo security patches are released! I understand the frustration of seeing Oreo sidelined in favour of the new Pie update. Rest assured that there are a number of security patches slated to roll out this month and the next, as others in this thread have stated.

Having said that, there are a number of important security updates released with 9.0, including the introduction of Lockdown Mode and the disabling of mic/camera access for background apps. I would strongly encourage you to consider upgrading your device so that it can be protected from vulnerabilities.

Cheers,
Sabrina
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
Android isn't Windows. Making OEMs support two concurrent OS versions is not wise or efficient.
theonecid
Expert Level 2
Galaxy Note
Correct. He should just update to Pie like everyone else, I'm sure he'll love the new OS.
ATZ138
Active Level 1
Galaxy Note
Thanks for the responses. I work in IT and use the device for work. It's not wise to update the OS as soon as a new version is released due to possible software issues with other apps installed. Our general rule is to wait 3 months before any OS update. During such time the device may be vulnerable due to no security update. I hope Samsung understand there are users like my situation and not leave them out of updates, considering Note 9 is only a few months old.
CHMultimedia
Expert Level 5
Galaxy Note
I know how it goes in IT. But it's still a consumer product. I think you can manage this in Knox for Business or whatever it's called, like for WSUS

Also Pie was released 6 months ago. If the apps you need aren't updated yet, then the devs are lazy slow pokes
theonecid
Expert Level 2
Galaxy Note
Understood ATZ138, unfortunately your device will remain unprotected from newer threats until you update to Pie I believe, unless Samsung does something different for corporations that I'm not aware of..
0 Likes